Clear all

Guitar playing...

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing since February and recently left a teacher i had for a couple of reasons. (i wont get into that)

I can play bar chords fine up and down the neck, but i was looking for a few pointers on how to create meaningful/good music while doing this. As of now, i simply fiddle between the different forms on different frets and nothing much gets accomplished.

(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

Use your ears and keep doing it.
Start buying method books.

ReplyQuote
 J45
(@j45)

Try to learn the names of the chords you are playing and how they are constructed and related to other chords. The best way to do this is playing along to your favourite tracks and you will soon pick up what chords go with each other and if you have the tab what the chords are called.

Nothing happens overnight - the more you put in the better you will become - stick in!

Cheers

"I'll get by with a little help from my friends"

ReplyQuote
(@markminni)
Eminent Member

Get some tab books and learn some songs, pay attention to how the chords are used in each of the songs.

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thank you for the replies

i was also thinking about a new teacher this fall... perhaps my luck will be better this time?

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

another thing, you should start learning other chord forms, jazz voicings, and the E,B,G root voicings. Writing, even if you're only strumming, will be better if you practice all types of guitar, lead, rhythm, harmonies, theory.

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote