Guitar port questions

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've been considering one of this lately. A few questions if anyone out there has one and can help.

#1, Does the guitar have to be an electric or can it be an acoustic/electric?
#2, Does it work with Audacity?
#3, Is this something that I could use to participate in the online jams?
#4, Does the port that generally sells for $100 come with the software or do you have to buy the almost $200 version to get the software to do something with it? (That made no sense, hopefully someone knows what I meant)

Thanks
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I've been considering one of this lately. A few questions if anyone out there has one and can help.

#1, Does the guitar have to be an electric or can it be an acoustic/electric?

Any guitar you can put into an amp you can put into a guitar port
#2, Does it work with Audacity?

Having never used Audacity I don't know for sure. However, it works just fine with Cakewalk, so I imagine it should work just fine for any other recording software.
#3, Is this something that I could use to participate in the online jams?

You don't need effects to participate in on-line jams, but you could use it for that.

That said -- typically a better choice when recording is usually to record your instrument cleanly and add effects as part of the mixing process not part of the recording proces.
#4, Does the port that generally sells for $100 come with the software or do you have to buy the almost $200 version to get the software to do something with it? (That made no sense, hopefully someone knows what I meant)

The $100 version comes with the on-line subscribtion stuff. it doesn't work away from the computer, which arguably makes it a lot less usefull. The $200 pod is an effects processor and works away from the computer. The $350 or so PodXT does both.

BTW -- if you check the "Swap meet" area you'll find I'm selling both a port and a pod . . . just in case you're interested . ..

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

WOW King. Thanks for such a detailed response. On the question about online colab... My thinking was that the port would be a good way to get the sound to the computer, not so much with or without effects.

I'll check the swap page and thanks again

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I have Guitar POrt and I like it a lot..except like king mentioned you are stuck at your computer...

As for working with Audacity it most certainly does work with it. You just have to change the setting to record from Guitar Port..

Guitar Port doesn't "COME" with the online stuff its an extra subscription but there is a 30 day free trial. Otherwise its $7.99/month. Personally, except for the tones the subscription is useless. I think the lessons are poorly written and are geared toward AT LEAST the intermediate level. Some of the background tracks are cool but once you end your subscription all the lessons you download don't work anymore...Only the tones continue to work.

I am looking into getting the V-Amp 2 (Behringer's version of the Pod) which is cheaper than the Pod ($99 as compared to $200) and does the same thing. Some say it doesn't sound as good as the Pod but I own 2 Behringer products already and they are MUCH better than everyone has said they were...so I trust Behringer to come through with the V-Amp 2.

I too want to be able to "get away" from the computer for a while so I think the V-Amp 2 is the logical direction to take. Plus you can hook the V-Amp to the computer as well (I believe the Pod can also) and downloasd tones also. Plus it comes with foot pedals (the Pod you have to pay extra for them)....

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member

I had been looking at getting a V-Amp 2 or a PODxt. I liked the V-Amp 2 because it was so much cheaper and it came with a bag and a foot switcher. I liked the PODxt because it had a built in USB port for connecting to the computer for updates and recording. The PODs also seem to have a lot of online support forums where people trade tone settings and share advice on it.

I ended up going with the PODxt, even though it was more. It just seems to have a lot more online support and I liked the idea of being able to get updates through the USB port (for example, Line 6 sells upgrade packs for the PODxt to add more amps/effects. They get downloaded via USB). Also Line 6 is offering a rebate right now that they will give you a free bag for your POD if you buy one this month.

I just ordered it yesterday, it won't be here until friday so I have not had a chance to play with it yet.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

If I am not mistaken V-Amp 2 can also be updated via USB. I know for a fact you can download tones from their website.

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member

V-Amp 2 can get new tone presets via its MIDI interface (as can the PODxt). The PODxt can get new amp/cab models and effects models via the USB. The V-Amp 2 might be able to do something similar by replacing an EEPROM chip, but it doesn't have a USB interface.

ReplyQuote