Clear all

Guitar Pro 5

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@click26)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I really dont know where it should go.

Has anyone had experience of Guitar Pro 5?

Is it any good?

Is it quick and easy to use?

How does it work? do you need to put songs on it, or does it have a number of songs tabbed already?

Thanks for the help

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I don't use guitar pro 5 at this time since you have to buy it but it is simple to use. You can find the guitar pro files on the internet and then you can just play them. I think you can print out the music also although I've never done it in GP5.

It used Powertabs which is a very simialr application and it was good when you are beginning to play the along with the music and you can slow passages down and loop them.

There's a lot more to it but I don't use either anymore so someone else can update you on all the features.

But both are easy to use. You can still get Powertab for free so you may want to take a look at that first. GP allows different instruments and you can mute them all or individually.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

Ive got GP5 and Im impressed. Still only scratched the surface but its helped we with many songs. You can print off the music, hover over the chord notation it'll tell you the chord and show inversions and alternatives, can show an animated fretboard/keyboard in time with the music, all sorts of stuff. Its a great tool and I recommend it.

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I've had it for a while, and I find it easy to use for what I use it for*

If you search around the internet you can find soong files for it (it doesn't come with any), and it'll play them at any spped you want (or loop sections) .
It shows you both tab and standard notation, as well as a graphic of a fretboard and/or piano keyboard, if you want.
If a file has an entire band's instruments in it, you can mute some instruments (for instance, mute the lead guitar so you can play that part yourself, and use the rest of the instruments as a backing track), or change the mix of the instruments (if the drums are too loud or something.
You can print from it, with either tab, standard notation, or both.
It can also import powertab files and MIDI files.

*The features I don't use are the ones to create a tab from scratch, or edit an existing one, so I can't tell you how easy it is to do those things.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I think Nick and Greybeard on our forums use GP5 and highly recommend it (if i am not mistaken).

I myself downloaded the demo version and was quite impressed by the vast features it has got. From my limited experience with this tool, I would surely recommend it.

Good Luck.

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

I use GP5 and highly recommend it...it's a great tool.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I've been using GP 5 for sometime. I'ts worth every penny. There are a few zip files running around that have about 20,000 files. I'm sure if you ask around you will be able to find it.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Ive got GP5 and Im impressed. Still only scratched the surface but its helped we with many songs. You can print off the music, hover over the chord notation it'll tell you the chord and show inversions and alternatives, can show an animated fretboard/keyboard in time with the music, all sorts of stuff. Its a great tool and I recommend it.

I have not seen that hover feature. How do you turn it on, or were is it located in the help?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sid: You can right click and select 'chord' on any chord in the music. A box pops open with all of that stuff.

Click 26: I have the GP-5 and consider it to be very well worth the money. It's not expensive at all. $60, as I remember? Whatever, it's good. I too have only scratched the surface. It helps me quite a bit to hear what some notes sound like while it goes through the transcriptions. It's similar to Power Tab, just much more robust. Just the printing selected instrument alone is well worth the money.

It's not perfect, though. The transcriptions are all user created. This means it's prone to error. Most are decent enough, though. Once in a while you wonder about someone's sobriety when you examine a song.

All in all, I give it high marks and think it's weel worth it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Another vote of confidence here too, I use it to notate and arrange all my own songs. I can export the whole lot as a guide track, and then the drums, piano etc. as midi files (I can't play those myself) to play VST instruments.

The only hassle I've run into in that entire process is that either GP doesn't export bends into the MIDI data, or Reaper doesn't pick them up from it (I haven't worked out which yet :)). No biggie though, just a quick tweak and I'm away.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

How does GP 5's RSE compare to powertab? Does it really sound real or does it sound similar to powertab? Can GP 5 play powertabs?

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

How does GP 5's RSE compare to powertab? Does it really sound real or does it sound similar to powertab? Can GP 5 play powertabs?
Yes and yes. :wink:

Powertab uses your computer's standard MIDI synth, whereas RSE replaces it with a better quality synthesizer (at least for the guitar parts - some instruments still use your default synth)

GP can play Powertab files just fine.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Thanks.

Not totally real, but a TON better than PT.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@devilman)

hi....i have guitar pro 5 and cant seem to make the export to wave work....does anyone here think they can help? i have windows vista and i cant seem to record what ive put together on gp5. i follow the instructions and read the manuel but whenever i try to turn it into a wav file it has no sound.....i can turn it into a midi file just fine but no wave file....it sucks. i cant figure this out...all i wanna do is turn it into an audio file. its real frustrating..all my volume levels are up all the way up and it doesnt make sense. can someone help please???

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

hi....i have guitar pro 5 and cant seem to make the export to wave work....does anyone here think they can help?

If I remember correctly you have to change the output from midi to windows, or something like that. I think there was an answer on GP's website a while ago.

ReplyQuote