Clear all

guitar projects

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm interested in guitar projects, eventhough my technical skills are lacking severely. ive already destroyed a Johnson acoustic guitar (i paid $40 for it) and i have an electric i built from parts that STILL won't work right. I'm putting that one away for a while, maybe in a few months i'll have fresh inspiration.

but i also bought 2 new ones from ebay. one is a cheap Japanese electric, unfinished and disassembled. im gonna finish it with truoil, and maybe a stain underneath cos the wood looks cheap (plywood prolly) I'll know for sure when the parts arrive. I think i paid $27 for it!

I also bought an Ensenada acoustic for $30. it's a 70s model, but it says the nut is too big and the saddle "is from another guitar" whatever that means. it's a neat looking guitar and the saddle and nut look perfctly fine in the picture, but it's a good chance for me to try out some stuff and see if i can improve the guitar any. we shall see.

btw, anyone know ANYTHING about ensenadas? the model i bought is FG30

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Sounds fun to me.

I have been thinking of doing some sort of project like that. But I have my Strat to work on now. I am endlessly searching for the perfect set of pickups. Right now I am thinking about Rio Grandes or Van Zandts.

I would like to build my own Gweetar one day, maybe even wind my own pickups.

Adios.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

btw, anyone know ANYTHING about ensenadas? the model i bought is FG30

I thought Ensenada was a fairly pricey line of Fender acoustics ... :?: Though "FG30" sounds like a Yamaha model.

The only other reference I can find is a review on HC about an Ensenada classical, bought for $50.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Ensenada/Classical_-1.html

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ah, found this for you:

ENSENADA Instruments previously produced in Japan, circa 1970s. Distributed by Strum & Drum of Chicago, IL.
The Ensenada trademark was a brand name of U.S. importers Strum & Drum of Chicago, Illinois. Strum and Drum were later owners of the National trademark, acquired when Valco´s holdings were auctioned off. Ensenada instruments were distributed between roughly 1973 and 1974 (source: Michael Wright, Guitar Stories, Volume One).

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Reminds me of my Hagstrom. I've put alot of money, time, and effort ito it, but I can't get it to work. I know it's something small, but I'm too busy lately to get some quality time at it.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks for that info slej

i wish i could find some specs on it or anything...i'll see what it looks like when i get it. i know they're not great guitars, but it was cheap and it lookd pretty wicked so i figured, why not

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Sometimes cheap and wicked looking go a long way! :) Have fun with it. I'm trying to track down a good condition early 70's Yamaha FG-75 right now. But people want ridiculous shipping prices - I'm not spending $50 to ship a $75 guitar!

P.S. You mentioned Tru Oil. That is GREAT stuff for refinishing guitars. I used it on my Ibanez neck refinish. Cheap, easy to use, and relatively safe too.

If you're going to stain it first, use a wood conditioner before staining. And you might consider a pore filler too, as the Tru Oil is not self-leveling.

Better yet, fill it, then seal it and get some transparent dyes from ReRanch. They have transparent sprays (Butterscotch looks really cool to me) which go right over the sealer coat. Then use the Tru Oil over the stain for your finish. It'll look great!

ReplyQuote