Skip to content
Guitar Tones (Third...

Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Tones (Third Eye Blind, and low fidelity)

15 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all!

I just saw Third Eye Blind this past weekend, and allthough I was a huge fan, I now want to know how to get their crazy guitar tones. Anyone know? I'm sure it has to do with chorus and delays and reverb, etc.

Also, how can I get low-fi sounds like Jack White? Where it basically sounds like the guitar isn't there. Joe Strummer also had this type of sound in some songs.

Thanks!

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I guess it's a mystery!

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Which Joe Strummer songs?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm not a huge Clash fan/expert, but he had this droned out sound, almost robotic???!?!? I want to say. He's not the only one, for instance Jack White has it a lot too, in almost every song of his. Some examples I can think of for Strummer would be Should I Stay or Should I go. But now that I listen to it, is that a horn over the guitar? Weird. Ok, ignore Strummer. Think more White Stripes.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I'm going to guess it has more to do with the way they record than anything else - very little or no multitracking, fairly dry guitar with not much reverb, etc. It reminds me of an interview with Jimmy Page on how he got the Communication Breakdown guitar sound (the interviewer said it sounded like he used a shoebox for an amp cab, or something along those lines.) Page replied that it was all about mic placement; so that might be a factor in the White Stripes sound too.

Here's an article on Jack White's pedalboard that might help you:
http://guitarplayer.wordpress.com/2007/07/05/learn-how-to-sound-likejack-white-the-white-stripes/

I'd also think his Silvertone amp is a big factor, along with his old department-store guitar.

Can't offer any thoughts on 3rd Eye; not familiar with them.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks, I wish I could just find a website that had famous guitarist's setups. I used to know one...

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Mich,

Try this http://guitargeek.com/

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

haha, this was the one I used to check out. Thanks!

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member

Jack White's sound has almost nothing to do with the pedals he uses. Do not concentrate on the pedals.

It's pretty much all in the amps. He uses a couple silvertones and a fender twin reverb or two.

My advice for the Jack White tone : Tube amp with some overdrive.

It's not difficult, should get you relatively close.

Oh I forgot, technique is also important. Jack White's technique has a huge influence on how his gear sounds.

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.
Three and you're into jazz.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I guess what I was wondering is how it sounds so.. empty and far off, not so much as the tone. That's probably recording, but then how can they get that sound live?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member

I don't know what you mean. If you tell me a specific song, i can try to help. (a stripes song)

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

it's in all of their songs, must be the amp settings. No mids probably.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@thurstonmoore)

Jack White's sound has almost nothing to do with the pedals he uses. Do not concentrate on the pedals.

It's pretty much all in the amps. He uses a couple silvertones and a fender twin reverb or two.

Oh I forgot, technique is also important. Jack White's technique has a huge influence on how his gear sounds.

I beg to differ! You can hear the unmistakable Big Muff sound all over his White Stripes records, and what about all those solos in which he uses the Digitech Whammy??? They're very Jack White, and only a pedal could achieve those sounds.

Of course technique and amps are important, but I think someone can get a sound closer to his using the right pedals, rather than the right amps...besides, its easier to find a Big Muff and a Digitech Whammy out there, than a 1960's Silvertone!

If anyone wants to sound more or less like Jack White, teh obvious choice would be getting the right pedals.

ReplyQuote
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member

You're completely wrong. The obvious choice would be getting any kind of tube amp. He only uses the big muff for solos and stuff. It distinctly provides the "fuzzed out" sound you hear when he solos. Also the whammy has nothing to do with tone really, it just lets him reach higher notes.

Jack's tone comes from a specific combination of Amp and Guitar, with a little bit of pedal.

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.

ReplyQuote