Guitar with Convex Back

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@aodor)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,
I have been looking for guitar which have a convex body back, not flat as the usual acoustic guitars. Anybody knows what brands make that kind of guitars?

Alberto Odor
Mexico City

============
Alberto Odor, MD
Mexico City
============

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Doesn't Ovation do this? A rounded back?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

Yes Ovation makes almost exclusively rounded back guitars. Unfortunately Ovation also has begun a trend of making all of their guitars very shallow. I guess the idea is that they're all electric-acoustics and when plugged in the body depth doesn't make that much difference; unplugged, though, they sound like trash...No guts, just a real thin, buzzy sound.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Yep, Ovation is the most famous maker of rounded backs... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

BTW I think they make them out of Lyrachord, but I'm not sure.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Speaking of this topic, I watched Desperado again the other day and there was a little boy in the movie running around with this guitar that had a back shaped something like the bottom of a boat.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

unplugged, though, they sound like trash...No guts, just a real thin, buzzy sound.

I disagree. Thin yes, but there no buzziness coming from my Ovation. However, I would definatly not suggest getting one if its your only guitar unless you plan on always being plugged in. It definatlely doesnt have the same depth of sound that my normal acoustic does. Plugged in it sounds great. Unplugged it sounds decent.. but I wouldnt call it trash.

Just my two cents

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Yes Ovation makes almost exclusively rounded back guitars. Unfortunately Ovation also has begun a trend of making all of their guitars very shallow.

Woefully untrue, my friend. I have here in front of me an Celeberty CC026 and it is plent deep, sounding louder and fuller than many of my freinds Taylor guitars and for only 280 dollars! If you go up even higher to the made in USA line, there are mid and deep bowls.

The technology has also improved with the LX line. I played a super-shallow LX and it was amazingly full-sounding unplugged, althoguh honestly not as as full as a mid or deep bowl.

Also, the new contour bowl on the Collector's is shaped to very comfortably. Feels like a small, jumbo woodbox, but sounds very full unplugged.

Then theres the Adamas line....which I haven't tried. But they are highly regarded.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote