12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've recently been turned onto this product:

http://www.guitarport.com/

Apparently you just plug it into your pc via USB and you can download all kinds of real rock backing tracks minus guitar and play along. There's also a ton of sounds you can get out of this for recording purposes. There's also an online subscription service.

Does anyone use this? Is it worth the price?

Thanks. KY

(@shan65)
Eminent Member

I paid $100 for mine and I think it was well worth the price. They have some great songs tabbed out for and the band minus the guitar is nice for jamming along. You get a ton of preset amp sounds for your guitar and plus you can make your own. The subscrption so far has been worth the 7.95 a month it costs because they have been coming out with some good stuff every month. Whether it stays that way remains to be seen. But since I didnt have the money at the time to get a Pod or anything it makes a great substitute.

ReplyQuote
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Couple of questions for any experienced users:

* Does the subscription have a TON of options to choose from? I'm a hard rock enthusiast and if they have the tracks minus guitar...along with tab...this sounds fantastic. I DON'T have anyone to play with really.

* Can you create tracks and then import into say Cakewalk Guitartracks Pro? I know they have Rifftracker, but I don't feel like buying more software.

* Can you plug this thing into your amp too? Or is it strictly into the computer and out either your computer or stereo speakers?

Thanks. KY

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

You can plug it into your stereo. You dont really need an amp as theres 16 different amp models and line 6 has a good reputation for that kinda stuff.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well, I bought it, but now I can't get sound.

I've got a PC, US-122 preamp, and stereo with speakers setup. Do I go directly from GP to the stereo inputs (which of course was not provided as a connection)? Or go through the preamp...which would require a wierd connection.

Thanks. KY

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Pluh the GP into your pc as desribed in the manual. Do not use external pre-amps/amps/hifi sets, as the GP won't work unless plugged into a computer.

ReplyQuote
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I tried that.

The USB cable goes right in the back of the Dell. Fine.

The next instruction is to take the mini one pin stereo cable and hook it from the Guitarport to the computer's soundcard. I plugged this cable into every hole in the back of my Dell machine and nothing.

This is why I'm thinking I need to go from Guitarport directly to either the stereo or the US-122.

Right now my US-122 is the soundcard. The output cables go to my stereo and then there is a one pin connector that goes from the stereo to the Dell. This connection allows for sound to flow out the stereo speakers.

Where Guitarport fits in, so that Guitarport and everything else works, is the problem.

What am I missing?

Thanks. KY

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Are you sure the line-in (which I guess is where you should plug it) isn't muted in your windows settings?

ReplyQuote
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

That's definitely not the case.

Help.

I've got wires everywhere.

ReplyQuote
(@srv-fan68)
Eminent Member

I use mine often.

The first one I bought was DOA, so a replacement was in order. Line 6 support for this particular device, was non-existant. Maybe because it's their cheapest priced?

Forget the sound connections for a moment, which, by the way it sounds like you are making correctly.

Plug your guitar into it if you have installed the software and see if the LED (light) is green or red. When you hit a note, it should change from green to red. If it just stays red, or there is no light at all (as it was in my case) you may have a defective unit.

HTH

ReplyQuote
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I did plug the guitar into the guitarport, plucked some strings, and saw that the light was flashing from green to red. So it looks like this is a functioning unit.

I just need to make the connections right.

ReplyQuote
(@srv-fan68)
Eminent Member

Sorry if I'm repeating something you know, but here goes.

On the small pin output jack of your PC soundcard (the one you would usually plug in your computer speakers, maybe dark green colour coding) - Plug this output from your PC to the small pin IN on the Guitar Port. Then you can plug the speakers into the speakers/headphones jack of the GP.

If you have a set of headphones with a small pin connector, try that in the GP to see if you can isolate the problem.

HTH

ReplyQuote