Clear all

Guitars and aeroplanes?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Looking at some of the links from this forum i've noticed how much cheaper guitars are in america compared to the UK. I've found the exact guitar i want in my local store and love the way it sounds. Next week my mum has to take a business trip to New York and i was wondering if it was worth asking her to pick this guitar up over there. What are the issues with getting it back in one piece? And are there any other things i should take into account before doing this?

Advice would be much appreciated

Jack

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Buy a hard case, tune down the strings - and don't blame me if it goes wrong ;)

My brother brought me an ovation from the states recently - it arrived in one piece :)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

She might be able to bring it on as 'carry-on'. If so, you should have no problems.

And YES Hard case is mandatory!!

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Not any hard case, but an ATA approved case. Either SKB or Gator FLIGHT case is the only thing I will use on an airplane, and I have done so with no problems.

I've never flown with a hollow body guitar, I have a solid body for that.

What kind of guitar are you looking at?

Also, check to see how much tax you will have to pay bringing it back in the country. Compare that to the deal you are getting.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking at getting an SG-3, which is around £400/$800 cheaper in the states. I will check out the tax situation but it can't make that much differance can it?

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

A friend once told me that to carry a guitar on a plane now you have to practically take the thing apart so they know it isn't some sort of explosive device.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That may depend on the airport. Or the personnel or the passengers involved...

There are many, many people flying with instruments and, aside from some friends who fly with electrics and chose to take them apart for easier transport, I've not heard of anyone having this sort of situation at an airport.

But then again, I certainly don't hear from everyone! :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Have you considered having it FedExed or UPS'd to you rather than flying with it? You can insure it and they can pack it for you so that it doesn't get broken. Just a thought. Shipping overseas might be quite a bit, though!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

FedEx and UPS handle the baggage better than the airlines do. When I need to fly, if I have the time I prefer to use UPS and have them hold it for me at the UPS office nearest my destination for pickup by me.

But as E/Blue noted, it might be expensive.

But even if I go UPS, I want to make sure all my instruments are in ATA approved flight cases.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Have you considered having it FedExed or UPS'd to you rather than flying with it? You can insure it and they can pack it for you so that it doesn't get broken. Just a thought. Shipping overseas might be quite a bit, though!

+1 if you really don't know how to pack your guitar.

I'm inclined to take a bolt-on neck solidbody. I remove the neck for carry-on in a poster tube, and pack the body in a smaller rectangular flight case for checking. A small rectangular case is much cheaper than entire guitar case and has room for cables and a couple pedals. But for those not inclined to dis-/re-assemble a guitar, I recommend shipping.

For those that check or end up gate-checking a complete guitar with tilt-back headstock -- esp if non-maple, this is important even if in an ATA flight case: Pack tightly crumpled newspaper or densely layered bubble wrap around the headstock to support it in ALL directions. It should not be allow to "hang in space" unsupported inside the case. Loosening the strings doesn't really help the headstock/neck much. String loosening (down a step or two) is good, but mostly protects acoustic and hollow electrics from collateral top/body damage.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I'm looking at getting an SG-3, which is around £400/$800 cheaper in the states. I will check out the tax situation but it can't make that much differance can it?

Jack
Tax and import duty/tarrif can make a significant difference.

Acording to this page from HM Revenue and customs guitars are subject to a 3.2 - 3.7% "standard duty" rate and a 17.5% VAT .

So, what's the purchase price in the USA, convert that to £, add about 22-21% and are you still getting a deal? Especially after buying an "airline resistant" heavy duty case?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote