Clear all

Guitars Made For Fast Playing

74 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
45.1 K Views
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I got an '91 RG550, with the first Wizard Neck with jumo frets. It's nothing short but awesome, although I had to get used to it. My other electric has pretty high action and if I press down hard on the Ibanez it sounds just nasty.

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

I've got a Gibson sg faded specail with jumbo frets. I hooked it up to my tuner and the intonation was nearly perfect.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

Hi.
I got Jumbo Frets... Uh
Scalloped necks and speed... How are you measuring speed?
In picks per second?
yngwe malsteen also used a delay with a slight offset to get that speed effect. I know Cause I did it before.
I really don't see how a scalloped neck makes playing all that faster. You still have to take into account the delay from your brain to your finger.
LOL for some, that's an all day thing.
And the delay in time from your finger touching the string at the right
place and the time it takes for the string to hit the fret. Notice all this takes place above the fretboard the only way I can see a "normal neck" slowing you down is if the fretboard was above the fret. How mant necks come with fret boards located above the fret?
I mean with a scalloped neck you still have to put the same pressure on the string to get it to hit the fret.

For example take two guitars with the same action and the same frets and the same basic neck - only scallop one of the necks

The strings will have the same downward travel distance with either neck used.
If all those variables are indentical as I noted, then how can a scalloped fret make you all that faster?

I kinda think it may be a placebo effect. The player was originally that fast to begin with, but convinced the fret was slowing them down. and
convinces themselves that missing hunks of fret board is the answer.

I hope I don't sound too much like a know-it-all blowhard. but that's my
opinion on scalloped necks and my reasons for believing that.

Thicker strings should make you play faster by being closer to the fret -
except the bottom of a light guage string will be at the same height as a heavy guage string and I imagine the relative tensile strength will provide more resitsance to being pushed onto the fret.

That being said, Anyone know where I can get decent Potentiometers
for my racing pedals? I can go on all year about online racing, but that's for another forum :)

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Nick, if jumbo frets help with all that, why would one get a grind and polish done on a guitar? Wouldn't that help to diminish those desired attributes?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I guess because you don't want them high. The difference is going to be subtle.

I don't like jumbo frets. I have medium.

If you push the string hard on jumbo frets, you may push off the intonation.

But for those wanting to squeeze every ounce of speed, and having exhausted the ability to make ones fingers move any faster, every little bit helps.

The reasoning behind the scallop is you don't have to touch the fretboard at all. How fast can you drum your fingers on a table? Now if you think you have to actually push something down until it touches, you may push harder than you have to. You may delay lifting your finger because you need to think you made contact.

ReplyQuote
(@antny)
Trusted Member

Mirrow because people do like ibanez. by the way I have a huge backlog of guitar world mags dating back to the early nineties when they still covered guys like yngwie. There are several times where yngwie says the scalloped neck allows him to play more relaxed and faster since it takes less pressure to sound the note. I agree that it doesn't seem like it should make a difference but if yngwie says it ... Actually there is a more recent issue. the one with EVH on the cover that was put out sometime last year that covers all of the players from the eighties, that does quote yngwie to something similar.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Antny you didnt get my rresponse. i sould "who would care?" because only 1 person uses a scalloped neck.

ReplyQuote
(@antny)
Trusted Member

oh ok sorry

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Actually, it's at least twice that many.

McLaughlin used one.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

no he didnt. he might of used one a few times but he didnt usally... ide like to see a pic of that also.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Man, mirrow, what is up with you? Chill out. You do not have claim to the sum total of all guitar knowledge.

I happen to know that Mclaughlin owned and recorded at least once on a scalloped fretboard.

Was it the only guitar he played? No.

Was it the one he played all the time? No.

Is it worth it to me to prove it to you? No.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

no he didnt. he might of used one a few times but he didnt usally... ide like to see a pic of that also.

At one time McLaughlin was a big advocate of scalloped fingerboards -- well before Yngwie started using them.

Search this article for the term scalloped:

GP1978McLaughlin

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

thank you gnease... the point was trying to make isive seen hi in cocerts and have never seen him use a scalloped neck. i wasnt trying to prove ou wrong.. infact i actually believed you i just wsanted to see a pic of it. im not questioning your knoledge of guitar sense im possitive you know a lot more than me since im not even 15 yet. you guys are all is understanding me. ill try to post a little more "suddle" (is that spelled right?)

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Nope, you're forgetting a b and a t, kiddo. Thanks for clearing a few things up, though, if you have any questions, just ask us, because we're here in the spirit of brother and sisterhood. As long as you're not a straight-up jackayss, you'll be fine here. :P

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

Nick wrote
If you push the string hard on jumbo frets, you may push off the intonation.

You have to push them down really hard, and if you push down that hard on any guitar Jumbo, Medium, or Small frets, it going to do odd things.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5