Guitars Made For Fast Playing

74 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
45.1 K Views
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

ive seen hi in cocerts and have never seen him use a scalloped neck

Man, you must know somebody. No way I could tell if a guitarist is using a scalloped neck from the seats I've had at shows.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

NoteBoat makes a good point.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

for my two cents,
Did you ever see those guitar players from spanish countries that play those wierd guitar-like folk insturments. They have necks a mile wide with godawful action, and play them really, really fast. I'm sure in that case that it's not the guitar that allows them to play that fast!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ofcourse. But on the other hand you could put it like this:

"I suck badly with my Ibanez, but I suck even worse on a harder to play guitar."

It's not just about speed, it just makes it *easier* for me to play. I know others have other favourite necks, and this is my favourite so far. You are right when you say a good guitarist will play well on almost any guitar, but I myself need every help I can get...

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

ah me, I am not making this up.

Jumbo frets, by their very nature being taller than medium or regular frets will throw off intonation more and sooner when you push down.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

A) What's a scalloped neck?

B) Do i have one? I have a PRS Santaana SE. I noticed from the PRS website that a lot of metal players use their guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

well i didnt really see him in concert... just on videos and stuff ( i got to guitar center and atch all the videos they play there lol). its also very easy to tell if necks are scalloped or not. scalloped means that the wood in between the frets is taken out and its liek sloped. its supposibly makes you faster (man my spelling sucks). i dont like it... i like the fender necks the best.

ReplyQuote
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Could somebody post a picture of a scalloped neck?

KY

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

its supposibly makes you faster (man my spelling sucks).

Yngwie Malmsteen (he uses a scalloped neck) was explaining that its to give better grip on the strings and that its not for playing faster, but it actually makes it harder to play fast...
He didnt mention it but I've heard it gives easier vibrato too, which is proabably true from seeing him play.

ReplyQuote
(@antny)
Trusted Member

yoo hoo, anyone. I wish I could send clips from the articles I have read from yngwie but I don't have any way of doing that. once again I read where he says the scalloped neck makes him able play relaxed and therefore makes him play easier(i assume faster as well). He also gripes about how strats take work to play. anyway if anyone has backissues like i do check it out. By the way arjen what made you decide on that particular RG. I know they make several diiffernt models but I never here specifically what makes one better than the other.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

he says different things at different times. I think he just likes to hear himself being interviewed.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@antny)
Trusted Member

yeah i agree on both points

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

he says different things at different times. I think he just likes to hear himself being interviewed.

One of the few true things to come from this crazy thread. The man has an ego so large, it almost makes him useless as a guitar player.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I've been reading all these posts and I've been stumped on one main thing when you guys say jumbo frets you mean that there is more space between each fret line. I undertsna dthat when u pass the fret line into another fret you get a higher or lower sound. But how does pushing down on the string throw the intonation off? How would pressing on a string change the sound as u push the string closer to the fret board?

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5