Clear all

Guitars Made For Fast Playing

74 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
45.1 K Views
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Jumbo frets are higher (and a touch wider) than regular frets. Because they're high, when you reach the fret and keep pushing your finger down, you're stretching the string between the fret and the bridge - so the note goes sharp.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

he says different things at different times. I think he just likes to hear himself being interviewed.
Lol. Good point... Agree with you 100%

Anyways, who cares what Malmsteen says? Or any other guitar "god". Clapton doesn't use his pinky when he does solos, just his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fingers. Does that mean all of us aspiring blues guitarists shouldn't use our pinkies? Obviously not.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@sly-and-the-family-stone)

i personally dont like the scalloped neck, it feels too flimsy, and i play better with my meatier strat. in the end i think it merely comes down to feel and personal preference. also, i found that with the scalloped neck, i found myself having to regulate the pressure of my fretting, which slowed me down, as opposed to just fretting the note regardless of pressure.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yngwie malmsteen is not only an egotist but is overated.

ReplyQuote
(@megadethhead)

If all you're interested in is speed for lead playing, you'll want to look at scalloped necks.

It's the fret (not your finger) that produces a tone. Scalloped necks are designed so your fingers won't actually touch the fretboard - you're just touching the string enough to make the fret sound the note. Press too hard and you'll go sharp - because you'll be bending the string and raising the pitch - but if you spend the time getting used the light touch, there's no question you'll play faster.... your fingers will sort of 'dance' on the strings without wasting energy banging up against the fingerboard.

The downside is you'll never play rhythm guitar with one; things like barre chords will be virtually impossible to produce in tune when you have more than one finger pressing on a string.

So if you want to be a one-trick-pony like Yngwie (who uses a scalloped neck), try one out.

First of all, If you can play like Yngwie you can play anything, so no Yngwie is not a one trick pony because once you have technique that you can play anything. Second of all the best playing guitar is the one that you set up yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If you can play like Yngwie you can play anything

I strongly disagree.

Yngwie plays single note lines and nothing else. That's not being able to "play anything".

He does what he does very well, but that's all he does.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alessiomarkz)

Could those life taking plays are authentic in those guitar world ?

ReplyQuote
(@localguitarist)

Don't really think that really matters when it comes to personalization and playing the guitar. People will have their preferences and so on

ReplyQuote
(@unleashedfury)
Eminent Member

It really boils down to 2 things

Personal Preference

Skill of Player.

If I just started learning guitar and decide that cause Paul Gilbert plays this specific guitar that is what makes him play so fast. Then If I get that guitar I am going to play that fast too. No if it worked that way all guitars would be exactly the same because then Manufactures would have released the key to getting everyone's business

I have a slew of guitars when I switch from one to another there is a difference in my playing but only slightly. I have a C-Neck Shaped Jackson that while it gives me more control on my thumb when its pressed on the back of the neck, I have a hard time with using my thumb on chords where I am using it to hit a bass note with a chord
. I don't really find it comfortable to play rhythym passages with except for bar chords. If I try to spice up a passage by adding little notes or a walking bass line I have to take a few runs to get it right.

Naturally the quality of guitar will help with speed. if you are playing a guitar that has a excessively high action, or needs repair bowed or twisted neck, you can still play fast but it will sound terrible. a well setup 100 dollar guitar will play just as fast as the 5000 dollar guitar.

What you like is what you like, if your a Gibson fan, you probably play more gibsons than you do anything, your style of playing and technique works well on a Gibson, if I hand you a Strat your style of playing nor technique won't change. it might just sound a bit different.

If you have been around guitars long enough you can spout off a hundred gimmicks that were sold to "make guitar easier or play faster quickly"

Truth be told, there is only one method. practice, learn what you like get good at that. Repetition will build muscle memory and speed will come with more practice. Don't be afraid to try different guitars, but don't expect to have a guitar just make you an instantly faster player.

ReplyQuote
(@matthewwensor21)

Yeah I would say Ibanez, Suhr, Jackson, ESP etc are all aimed at 'fast' shredding players.

Mattie, UK based session guitarist and teacher at https://mgrmusic.com/teacher-database/

ReplyQuote
oldstrummer
(@oldstrummer)
Trusted Member

I keep seeing the term "shredding" used and have never seen a good definition of it. What is shredding?

When I read this, I substitute the concept of "extremely fast, meaningless, souless" guitar playing. I've heard numerous "shredders" play, and while their technical prowess is undeniable, their musicianship doesn't do a thing for me.

I've heard Al di Meola play lightning fast solos - so clean and pure - that make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Jeff Beck does things with his guitar that makes me (and many others) say, "How in the heck does he _do_ that???" Clapton, in his drugged-up younger days could make smoke rise from his fingerboard.

Are these guys "shredders?" And, once you've got the speed to shred, what's next? I can't see shredding on every piece you play. To me, that's B-O-R-I-N-G.

Duke Ellington said it best: "If it sounds good, it IS good!"

ReplyQuote
(@rudysharp)

PRS and Music Man if you are American. Lots of smaller famous luthiers in the states as well that I've heard great things about but never played: Anderson, Suhr, Nash, Ron Kirn, Trussart, Languedoc. Ibanez is associated with different types of metal acts but they also make great guitars for other styles (obviously referring to higher end ones). There's also other Japanese guitar manufacturers that make high end stuff: ESP, Tokai. Korea has Peerless. China has Eastman.

ReplyQuote
(@rey-biadnes)

Hmmm Good day brother ☺. Indeed there are guitars which are highly efficient in technical approach like speed, shredding and all. Now you have to understand that there are guitars which are made just like a sports car,highly efficient when you floor the gas, the effectiveness of every parts of the cars are specifically for speed and drifting and all the flashy tevhniques in doing car show, so in connection with the guitar, there are flat neck guitar so it would be effortless to shred,with jumbo fret for effective tapping and full tone quality of every note, perfect pick ups for sound quality and all the specs. So I suggest you search about ibanez guitars,ESP,jackson,etc. ☺ Godbless hope it helped!

ReplyQuote
(@ricoz)

on the off chance that gigantic frets help with all that, for what reason would one complete a pound and clean on a guitar? Wouldn't that assistance to decrease those ideal characteristics. For whatever timeframe that you're not a straight-up ass, you'll be fine here.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5