14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Reasons to order from guitartrader.com

1 - You want an American Strat in Olympic White
2 - The guitarcenter conglomerate is relocating, and there are week to two week delays forecasted
3 - guitartrader is the second highest listed vendor on google, and they list the guitar you want as in stock. According to their website, "most in-stock items ship the same day."

Reasons not to order from guitartrader.com

1 - It's not an online vendor. The website is merely an interface to place an order. You still have to wait around for somebody to pull down the order, and place it. Although the confirmation page states to check email for your confirmation, this message is sent manually, when (if) your guitar ever ships. Of course, going in you don't know this, so you place the order.

2 - You are billed that day, but three days pass without hearing anything, you call and after waiting 20 minutes on hold, are told that guitar isn't in stock. However, it was ordered from Fender when your order was placed, and is on its way to guitartrader. The salesman tells you excitedly, "It might be there now!" It should be there that day or the next, and be here by 2 business days, 3 at worst.

3 - 6 days pass, you hear nothing. You send an email asking what the hey, and are told that it was never actually ordered from Fender, because Fender doesn't have any. Your guitar will be there in 60 days. You cancel the order, and are told it will take 7-10 business days for a refund. Meanwhile, guitarcenter's distribution delays are over, and you're handcuffed by a vendor who doesn't seem to care about you, at all. I wonder had I not sent the email, would I ever have heard anything at all? Am I crazy for expecting better service on a $1,000 purchase?

Admittingly, I should have researched a little more, as the place has pretty cruddy reviews on consumer sites. I still feel like puking, looking at their website. Any other bad experiences?

(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Sorry to read about your bad experience. I hope it all works out.

I always check to see if a product is in stock before placing an order online. And I really think charging a credit card before shipping is a dodgy practice unless it's a special order the store has to make on the customers behalf.

The credit card refund system is a joke. I've had the same thing as you: a charge can be made against your account immediately but the credit card company takes up to 10 business days to refund after the merchant puts the refund through.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I've been known to research an item so long that it goes out of production. guess I'm just anal that way.

this is a good lesson for everyone, you need to research not only the item, but the seller as well, if not more.

consider this a cheap lesson, it could have been much worse.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Cheap lesson? But I want a new strat now!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

How about taking a trip to your nearest GC ?

Or perhaps you can order online from Zzounds.com. I have heard pretty good reviews of that site.

I didn't said MF as it was having some shipping issues earlier.

Good Luck.

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How about taking a trip to your nearest GC ?

Or perhaps you can order online from Zzounds.com. I have heard pretty good reviews of that site.

I didn't said MF as it was having some shipping issues earlier.

Good Luck.

I originally decided to buy one at GC, but they didn't have the Olympic White. Like their 10 or so uniquely designed websites they had delays on getting another one.

I'd order elsewhere now, or even buy a different color to ease my feigning, but I'm down a grand for the time being, and not made of money over here.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I've been known to research an item so long that it goes out of production. guess I'm just anal that way.

:D

I know what you mean. It even took me until I was 35 before I chose the right person to marry. :wink: I've been very happy with the choice though (we've been together for over a quarter of a century now... ). And - please don't mention this to anybody - but I can still remember how much I enjoyed the research phase too.... :P

Sorry to hear that you got screwed there Ivankaramazov. That would infuriate me. Once I do make a choice I want it now. I guess that's one more reason why I only ever buy guitars through local stores where I can decide then and there to take home the one I just played. Good luck sorting it out.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I live in Canada and I've bought from Musiciansfriend twice and both times I've been very un-impressed by the SERVICE: basically both times I expected the stuff I bought to arrive in 1 - 2 weeks, as most things I order from the states usaully take, Musiciansfriend takes usaully at least 6 weeks.

I bought my Epiphone Valve Junior from them and when I ordered it they told me it was in stock. So I waited for about 4 weeks and I e-mailed them: they then told me that it was out-of-stock and that they e-mailed me about how I would have to wait: I never received an e-mail. So after a long conversation with a woman on the phone, I eventually got my shipping paid for.

I know it's definitely nowhere near as bad as what happened to you, ivankaramazov, but i think it definitely shows that buying over the internet can be frustrating sometimes, that being said I still buy from E-bay, but it's usaully nothing quite like an amp or a guitar.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've never had a problem with MF, but it's always been small things I've ordered. Actually, I ordered a box of strings and a slide Sunday and got them today.

Blessing in disguise. By the time that money returns, I'll have gotten paid again and have 500-1,000 more to throw into a new axe. I'm thinking a Clapton signature model, or an SRV. Guitartrader and their questionable business practices rule!

ReplyQuote
(@jimjam66)
Trusted Member

I'm with you, ivankaramazov! I ordered my Adamas 2080 from GuitarTrader because they were $300 cheaper than anyone else (other than eBay, and I wasn't going to drop that load of cash on eBay!) They also promised loads of free stuff (pedal of my choice, stand, strings etc). So I placed the order, had the cash taken off my credit card, and then .... nothing. I kept calling the salesman to get a tracking number for the package, and I'd get told a different inventive lie every day. 'Oh, the computers are down', or 'oh, it shipped from our other store and we don't have the records'. Each time he was going to call me right back, but guess what? Nothing ...

After a week I called the Sales Manager, who was at least honest. The order had never been raised on their system and anyway, once it was rasied they simply back-to-backed it to Ovation. I finally got the guitar two weeks after ordering, but no free stuff. So I called the salesman back and explained my fryustration to him in words of one syllable or less, and I got the other stuff about three days later.

In fairness they were still cheaper than anyone else, and I did eventually get everything they promised, but talk about driving customers away!!

Cheers,

David

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I'm with you, ivankaramazov! I ordered my Adamas 2080 from GuitarTrader because they were $300 cheaper than anyone else (other than eBay, and I wasn't going to drop that load of cash on eBay!) They also promised loads of free stuff (pedal of my choice, stand, strings etc). So I placed the order, had the cash taken off my credit card, and then .... nothing. I kept calling the salesman to get a tracking number for the package, and I'd get told a different inventive lie every day. 'Oh, the computers are down', or 'oh, it shipped from our other store and we don't have the records'. Each time he was going to call me right back, but guess what? Nothing ...

After a week I called the Sales Manager, who was at least honest. The order had never been raised on their system and anyway, once it was rasied they simply back-to-backed it to Ovation. I finally got the guitar two weeks after ordering, but no free stuff. So I called the salesman back and explained my fryustration to him in words of one syllable or less, and I got the other stuff about three days later.

In fairness they were still cheaper than anyone else, and I did eventually get everything they promised, but talk about driving customers away!!

Cheers,

David

thanks for sharing another coffin nail for Guitartrader. sounds like these folks need some customer service training.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

FWIW, I bought my guitar from guitartrader and had zero problems. It was cheaper than anywhere else, the sale went perfectly, it was shipped quickly and arrived at my door when it was supposed to. This was about 4 years ago, so who knows?

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member

ive never dealt with guitartrader, but i have ordered a few things from music123.com and they were very prompt and i had no troubles. one of the items is a "b-stock" Gibson SG standard, which i was and still am more than happy with.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I traveled 40 miles to the only non-corporate guitar shop around, and had them order one straight from the manufacturer. Alls well that ends well, as I'm now peeling the plastic off the pickguard of my new strat. My poor Gibby might have to get used to its position in the closet...

ReplyQuote