Skip to content
HAHAHAA my uncle kn...

Notifications
Clear all

HAHAHAA my uncle knows NOTHING about guitars...

50 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
 Afo
(@afo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Basically, my uncle was given this guitar... for free for some reason...

http://www.kennellykeysmusic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=4236&cat=2488&page=1

and he doesn't know how to play guitar.... so he knows nothing about guitars either... so i realized this is a really good guitar, and the only classical guitar i have is a REALLY bad one... like one of the ones you can find at a music store for around... 60 dollars... so basically it was a piece of crap with a hole in it... Now this guitar my uncle had, sells for a lot of money, and i knew it was nice... but of course, my uncle ALWAYS wants a LOT of money for EVERYTHING... (i've known him my whole life like that) so i asked him how much money he wanted for it... and he was like... okay... i honestly didn't do any research, but this seems like a pretty crappy guitar if i got it for free, so you can have it for $85

:):):):):):):):):):):) i saved around 500-700 dollars

HURRAH

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Gee, not what I'd call a real heartwarming story there, Afo.
I understand your uncle got the guitar for 'free' and all, but...the guitar's true resale value is likely to come to light at some point in the future. You're comfortable with that?

Don

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Yeah, I agree with Boxboy.

You are pleased that you ripped off your uncle? What you did was, in my opinion, a pretty low thing to do to a relative - or even a stranger. Shame on you. I am surprised you are gloating here - you haven't impressed anyone.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I agree with Boxboy.

You are pleased that you ripped off your uncle? What you did was, in my opinion, a pretty low thing to do to a relative - or even a stranger. Shame on you. I am surprised you are gloating here - you haven't impressed anyone.

+1 Shame on you! :evil:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

lol. On the one hand I agree with what the others have said, on the other hand I do think it was totally insane of your uncle not to research it before selling it on...So I say what the hell, good on yuh! He shoulda known better! How'd he come to get it for free anyway?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Afo

Well, since your uncle got the guitar for nothing, he actually made $85. He is probably happy with that.

But I agree with the others, laughing at your uncle after he gave you such a good deal is not very nice. Instead of laughing at him, you should have gave him a big THANK YOU.

At the end of your life when someone asks you about the best times of your life, you will not talk about material things like guitars, cars, money, etc... I bet you will talk about good times you had with friends and family. Guitars come and go, but family and friends are what really matter in life, be good to your family. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Dignity, honesty and integrity not high up on your priority list, eh? :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

There are some things that you just don't do, and conning your family and friends is one of them. That's seriously low, IMO, since you knew the monetary value of the guitar you should have at least offered to pay a little closer to the actual price. And you're hardly in any position to criticise your uncle "wanting a lot of money for everything' when you've just admitted to ripping him off....maybe the two are related? Either way, you've got no moral high ground to be standing on.

But I'm glad you were honest with all of us about this, now I know there's someone on these boards I shouldn't trust.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Afo

Well, since your uncle got the guitar for nothing, he actually made $85. He is probably happy with that.

But I agree with the others, laughing at your uncle after he gave you such a good deal is not very nice. Instead of laughing at him, you should have gave him a big THANK YOU.

At the end of your life when someone asks you about the best times of your life, you will not talk about material things like guitars, cars, money, etc... I bet you will talk about good times you had with friends and family. Guitars come and go, but family and friends are what really matter in life, be good to your family. :wink:

+1
epic fail
i feel sorry for you,
you value a few dollars more than the respect of your own blood relative,
you value the assumed adoration of a few strangers on the internet over knowing you did the right thing.
truely sad.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Wow, you guys are ruff. For all you know the Uncle thought it was worth 15$ and is on another forum bragging about how he ripped of his nephew. :roll:

but what the uncle did or didn't do has no bearing whatsoever on the morality of Afo's actions. it doesn't lessen his/her crassness in ripping his family off, and it doesn't lessen the crassness of bragging about it on here. if you can justify an immoral act on the basis that other immoral acts have been committed, then the whole concept of morality, ethics, and justice will collapse.

the fact remains, he/she ripped off his/her own family and then came here to brag about it. and that's low, no matter how you try to justify it.

And maybe, just maybe his/her Uncle's stingy disposition is the result of having been ripped off. It doesn't justify him (the Uncle) being tight, but it does mean Afo should exercise a little more caution when it comes to criticisng his Uncle's stingyness - Afo lost the moral highground that evaluation requires by ripping his Uncle off. The one about glasshouses and stones.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member

lets hope your uncle isnt apart of these forums.

I'm not sure I would rip off my own uncle like that, but if he doesnt really play guitar i guess it doesnt matter much.

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I don't knock the kid for buying the guitar for $85, that's what the uncle asked for.

I knock him for making fun of his uncle. I used to have nine uncles. They were all terrific guys and I have fond memories of each one. Now I have only two uncles left, and they are both very old and in poor health. Within the next few years they will surely be gone too. I miss these guys, they were great.

Apo is young and doesn't value his family members, but someday he will.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

but what the uncle did or didn't do has no bearing whatsoever on the morality of Afo's actions. it doesn't lessen his/her crassness in ripping his family off, and it doesn't lessen the crassness of bragging about it on here. if you can justify an immoral act on the basis that other immoral acts have been committed, then the whole concept of morality, ethics, and justice will collapse.

the fact remains, he/she ripped off his/her own family and then came here to brag about it. and that's low, no matter how you try to justify it.

Amen, sister! Well said.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think I would have told him it was worth alot more but if he wanted to give me a deal, how much did he want for it. That might have worked out. I know if I came upon something I had no use for for free, as any of my late uncles would have done for me, I would have given it to him. I traded my little brother inlaw (years ago, he's grown with a family now) a Les Paul copy for a cheap Yamaha classical the was beat up and not worth a quarter of the electric. I later gave the yamaha to a coworkers son cause she wanted to know if I had a cheap starter guitar to sell her. She said how much, I said .... free! :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's not the price - your uncle got it for free, he could have passed it on for free - it's the moral. He's family, treat him like family, not a sleazy pawnbroker.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4