Harmonica?

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

I am probably in the wrong topic, and if so, maybe someone could direct me to the proper forum, but I recently bought a Hohner Blues Harp (diatonic) in key of C and was wondering if anyone knew of some good advice to give a beginner. I don't want it to take away from my guitar practice, but to complement it.

anyone else out there also playing a harp?

Thanks!

Julius

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I haven't played one in like, wow...30 years? Naw, can't be that long. But anyhow, I found a few sites on a google search that might come in handy for you.

I love harps - they're so easy to take places, unlike 'harp' harps lol.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=playing+the+harmonica&btnG=Google+Search

See if that link works :)

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Demo! I'll check it out.

Julius

ReplyQuote
(@badlands53)
Trusted Member

I see you're a Springsteen fan too. Start off with something like "Promised Land". The song's in G, but you can play it on a C. Just put on the CD and mess around until you match what he's playing, it's pretty simple.

The bad thing about harp it that you need a different one for each key.

I have some tabs of other Springsteen songs, too. Send me a PM if you want them.

Well, if you can't make it, stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive, if you can, and meet me in a dream of this hard land.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

I tried harmonica a little bit ago, but I got absolutely nowhere. I could never get single notes down, i couldn't get my tounge to cooperate with me...

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@nathan1709)
Trusted Member

Man, I bought a C harp myself recently with a view to accompanying myself on the guitar (a la Dylan). For an instrument that seems relatively straightforward it sure is a lot harder than i thought it would be and eventually i admitted defeat! Any proferred advice etc. to rekindle my interest would be gratefully received

"This is a public service announcement.....with guitars"

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

I would like to be able to play harmonica, seems cool that you can easily take it anywhere, but I just couldn't figure out how to get my tounge to block holes so you could get only a single note. I can play happy birthday, but I have to cheat and use my fingers to block the holes, which isn't exactly the best technique...

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I spent some time a couple years ago trying to learn harp. Used to practice during my hour long commute (not recommended). I concluded that since most folk, rock and blues harp playing is melodically simple, the secret to making harp sound great (not I can) is really good rhythmic control. A great example of this is John Mayall's Room to Move. It's all about the rhythm and breath control. Here's a lesson for it:

http://www.harmonicalessons.com/tabs/tabs_riff_roommove.html

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

When playing blues with a blues harp you do not play in the same key as the rest of the band. Whatever key your harmonica is, you have to think of that notes 5th. So if you have a C blues harp, you need the other instruments to play in G. Use an A harp for a blues in the key of E, and a blues harp in the key of D for a blues in A etc....

If you look at it from the bands point of view, you need a Blues harp that is a 4th of the key they are in. So if they are playing a song in G, you need a C Blues harp.

This is only for Blues harp, not a Chromatic harmonica.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it's the fourth of the key, not the fifth.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Wow, a lot to learn...but that's half the fun!

Julius

ReplyQuote
(@mulletgut)
Eminent Member

Come on by, we have a very helpful community over at Harmonica Club.
We have lessons, loads of little riffs with the tab AND short .wav files to listen to(or to copy), as well as a forum for all your questions.
It's a great little harper site with friendly peeps about, alot like this wonderful place, tell em dave_oz sent ya.
Oh and I won't be offended if you choose not to.

If it's free its for me........... and I'll take three!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

well yes and no, that's called cross harp, but you can play straight harp, it just doesn't really sound good.

ReplyQuote