Clear all

Harmonicas

36 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was thinking of getting a good Blues harmonica(which is based on a blues scale instead of major). I was thinking of Hohner Blues harp. What do you think? Also, me & my band are doing a song in G, so i need a blues harmonica in g. But will i be able to use it in a piece in E, for example?Any suggestions accepted :wink:

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Lee Oskar is a good brand.

If you are going with Hohner, try the Special 20 or Big River. I'd go with those over Blues Harp for a beginner.

Special 20 is going to cost you a bit more. The Big River is an excellent harp for the money.

Most likely you'll want to play cross harp so for the key of G you will want a C harp.

Why? Well the notes you'll want to flatten for a bluesy feeling will all be draw notes. And the 1234 holes will make a G chord.

And to answer your other question, you can play a harp in 1st position or the key that's written on it, 2nd or cross or 4 letters up. You can play all keys on a single harp, but I don't know of anyone who does it.

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So is the Big river a blues scale harp? And why not The Blues Harp? It seems good.
P.S.
I've been playing harp for 3 years on a crappy 1. It's a major c scale one, and u can't even do bends.
PPS.
Do blues scale harmonicas exist? If yes is the blues harp one?

What are cross harps?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If you are playing a standard harp cross harp style you will be playing a C harp when the song is in the Key of G.

If you had a harp that was playing the blues notes, you wouldn't get the same effect. You can get a chromatic harmonica though.

The Blues Harp is a wooden comb harmonica, not as tight on the airflow as Special 20 or Big River.

You need to get a hold of a copy of David Harp's book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0918321859/002-4979742-9928006?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

You can get it used for about $3 bucks

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm not very good, so some things i don't really understand. What does a chromatic harmonica do? why has it got a button? I tried playing the Blues on my C major scale harmonica, but it didn't work at all. I wanna do stuff like in the mivie Crossroads. Is the Blues harp a blues scale one?

Cheers

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Go to http://www.harmonicalessons.com

Crossharp is a method of playing the blues scale on a diatonic harmonica. Really that is what you want to do.

Spend the money and get the book. There is way too much information to explain it all here. Besides, the site and the book give you everything you need to know.

Spend the $3, or $6 for new.

Pushing the button on a chromatic harmonica gives you the half steps between notes.

ReplyQuote
(@mulletgut)
Eminent Member

The short answer to you main question is no. There aren't specific blues scale harmonicas. Harps sold as blues harps have the same diatonic scale of the harp you are learning on. Generally they try to make the blues harps easier to bend to aid in giving that bluesy sound.

If you want to play blues in any particular key, I suggest you look for the cross harp or second position key of the harmonica you're buying. Blues in G? get a harp in the key of C, like Nick said. Blues in E? Get an A harp.

Learn to bend! That is the key to great blues harp playing.
There are plenty of good harp sites around. I personally like Harmonica Club. Lessons etc and plenty of nice guys eager to answer questions. A lot like GN actually. :)

Oh, and my preference for harps is Lee Oskar, Hohner Special 20 and Hohner Pro Harp. I personally thing the "blues harp" ones are a tad gimmicky.

If it's free its for me........... and I'll take three!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

www.harmonicalessons.com

Their forums are deader than a lobster in butter sauce.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

you can still read the lessons.

The other site mentioned above has better forums.

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

What about chromatic harmonicas? I've tried 1 and it feels VERY vrtisile.
What do u reckon?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You've gotta go do your research on those sites.

Chromatic isn't the way to go for Blues unless your name is Little Walter, if memory serves correctly.

You want to bend those notes, the third and seventh to get the right feel. You want a diatonic.

Now go do your homework. Read the beginner articles, pony up the $3 bucks.

ReplyQuote
(@mulletgut)
Eminent Member

By all means get a chromatic, but keep it for jazz or folk. Diatonic all the way for blues my man. :wink:

If it's free its for me........... and I'll take three!

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm sure i'll be able to play blues with a chromatic. Maybe i'm developing my own thing?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

don't laugh, but can i get a good USED chromatic harmonica? :D :D

ReplyQuote