Notifications
Clear all

Harmonicas

36 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Harmonicas have a limited life span (based on how hard you play/how often/ what wear and tear it takes). Eventually, you'll blow out the metal reeds (the metal gets fatigued...not literally blowing the reeds out)and thus I /think/ the used harmonica scene is a little thin at best.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Laugh? No. Make sure you get a blood test from the last user.

Sure you can, try Ebay.

Really it just isn't a good idea.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

My fiance worked at a rehab for drug users. You'd be amazed what diseases people have, and you'd be amazed what you actually have to do so you don't end up infected.

As far as I'm concerned, don't ever buy anything used that you plan on putting to your mouth. Anything you do get used, clean it with rubbing alcohol if possible, or at least a REALLY good disenfectant.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys about the advice. But about the used harmonica, i cant really afford a brand new chromatic, but i can afford a used one. I've seen one in an antiques market, and it's in an amazing condition, and is only $40. And Gunslinger, ofcourse i would have cleaned it with a disinfectant. My parent otherwise won't let me play it. I may be 13, but i'm not stupid! 8) 8) :D

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

40 bucks gets you 4 brand spankin new diatonics. You'd be much better off that way and you could cover almost all of the keys using straight harp or cross harp.

Not sure why you don't want to believe me, diatonic is the way to go.

ReplyQuote
(@mulletgut)
Eminent Member

What nick said :D

I wish harps were as cheap in Australia as they are in the US.

A Lee Oskar costs $45-$50 here. Ouch.

If it's free its for me........... and I'll take three!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Lee Oskars are about $25 here, but the Big River harps are about $10 at Elderly instruments.

Get yourself the following:

G, D, A, C

That will allow you to play in the keys of:

C, A, Am, Bm,G, E, Em, D, Dm

All for less than the cost of a chromatic.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

40 bucks for a harmonica? Are you mad? :lol:

Trust in Nick, he is strong with the force.

25 bucks can get you a great harmonica.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Cheers guys! I will try out all of the following. Maybe i'll just get both. And there's something i just don't like about a plastic comb! They just dont work for me. They don't seem to feel right. It'd like getting a Gibson knock-off, and thinking that it's all you'll ever need, but deep down in your heart, u still want that Gibson. And Nick, why a chromatic? Because that would be very easy for me to use as i had previous xp. wth a piano. I figured it would be MUCH easier to work out a complicated tune on 1. It seems much more vertisile.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

But it isn't young Luke. It's actually less versatile.

By the way I own all Big River harps. That's what I play. I can afford Lee Oskar. It isn't like owning an Epiphone vs Gibson. I like the tone and ease of bending with the Big River.

The Big River is the Seagull of the Harmonica world. Great bang for the buck. You don't want a cheap harmonica to learn, they are harder to play.

You've invested $40 to learn. If you don't like 'em, replace them in a year.

Not only that, your thinking is backward on the plastic comb in harmonicas. Plastic is air tight, while wood leaks, swells when it gets wet, cracks when it gets too dry.

Did you read the beginning harmonica lesson stuff and read why you should pick diatonic over chromatic?

You WANT to learn to bend notes. Bending notes gives the harmonica it's bluesy flavor.

BTW, $40 for a Lee Oskar down under doesn't surprise me at all.

That's it for me on this thread, you can lead a horse to the harmonica....

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nick! I'll consifer everything u said, and make my choice. I'll probably even get a diatonic harp. I'll do more research. Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

So what you saying then Nick? :lol:

My reason for posting is I had NO IDEA how complicated this Harmonica lark was. I had a read through the bending notes lesson - wow! Alter the shape of my mouth? Aamazing stuff.

OK here's the crunch question. If I do like Nick says and buy a series of Harmonica's in a range of keys, is it possible to "wing it" and just jam along, without much practice, provided I pick the right key harmonica?

For instance if my mate Keef is playing a song in G, i get out my C harmomina (i trust that's right?) and play around, will i get away with it? I don't mean will I be an expert - but will I sound roughly in key?

Comments please guys. And Nick, don't give up on this post, your input here is invaluable !
Thanks

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

if it's a blues song in g natural, use the c. if it's a song in g major, use a g harp.

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hello again. Please reply Nick! I got myself a diatonic Blues Harp, and it sounds and feels amazing! Exept for now bends inly work on hole 1. But i'm sute i'll get there. Thanks for the exellent advice!

ReplyQuote
(@mulletgut)
Eminent Member

So what you saying then Nick? :lol:

My reason for posting is I had NO IDEA how complicated this Harmonica lark was. I had a read through the bending notes lesson - wow! Alter the shape of my mouth? Aamazing stuff.

OK here's the crunch question. If I do like Nick says and buy a series of Harmonica's in a range of keys, is it possible to "wing it" and just jam along, without much practice, provided I pick the right key harmonica?

For instance if my mate Keef is playing a song in G, i get out my C harmomina (i trust that's right?) and play around, will i get away with it? I don't mean will I be an expert - but will I sound roughly in key?

Comments please guys. And Nick, don't give up on this post, your input here is invaluable !
Thanks

Matt

You could play a G harp in first position or a C harp in second position (cross-harp) or an F harp in third position, any of them will sound okay.

The lower reeds are easier to bend (ie holes 1-4 and draw only) therefore, if you want a bluesy tone achieved by bending, use a C in 2nd position (1-4), if you want it brighter and chirpy go for the F in 3rd or something in between, play the G harp in 1st.

Too confusing?
Sorry about that.

If it's free its for me........... and I'll take three!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3