Clear all

Harmonics

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering what you guys think of harmonics. As of now, they're about the only technique I have a problem with. Mostly 'cause I was never really "taught" how to play them, just told over the internet. But, yeah, just because of that pieces like Dazed and Confused really, really impress me just by the sheer number, and the speed they're played at.

What do you guys think about harmonics?

(@palehorse)
Eminent Member

I was just wondering what you guys think of harmonics. As of now, they're about the only technique I have a problem with. Mostly 'cause I was never really "taught" how to play them, just told over the internet. But, yeah, just because of that pieces like Dazed and Confused really, really impress me just by the sheer number, and the speed they're played at.

What do you guys think about harmonics?

Interesting question. My last lesson the instructor showed me how to do them, I like them and am trying to master them.

Here's how I was taught how to play them:

touch the string SOOOOOO lightly that your nerve endings barely feel the string, don't depress it at all then a light stroke on the string at the same exact time you release the finger that is barely touching it.

It takes a lot of practice at first, but once you get the "feel" it really is simplistic as hell.

Open string, I think it's the 12th, 9th and 5th (fret) that ring true. However, there is a way to do the other frets, you need to count the frets up from the bottom, count from the top that many and hold there (normal, total depress) then do the pinging technique (touching the string at the fret and plucking) all with the right hand. A wee bit harder but gives you more notes.

----------------------------------------------
Life is a snowmobile racing across the frozen tundra that suddenly flips over pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasels come...

ReplyQuote
(@bleaseyhighflyer)
Trusted Member

Yeah that is a good qustion. I think harmonics are brilliant. If found you can get them to ring loud on the 17 and 19 fret too, ( an octave up from 5th fret and 7th fret. I havnt really mastered them yet, i think im still depressing the strings to much you gotta be real light with the fingers. And i can only play them real slow, its good practice though.....

" Ah man, that went down like a lead balloon."

ReplyQuote