Notifications
Clear all

Have I gone too far? (MOD Pics Added)

54 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

If it gets there late on Wednesday, that's only one day that you have to endure it's existance in your house. It could be worse. We'll talk you through it, though, if you get any jitters and such. GN's a global 24/7 support team. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

GAS, very hard to resist. Had my own case a few weeks ago, sold a few duplicate silver and gold coins from my collection netted $700. Of course I had about $1000 buck worth of GAS! Luckily Musicians Friend had a 20% of sale, spend 250 get it for 200. Well I broke my order into 3 pieces and really stretched that money. I ended up with a Seagull entourage rustic w/case, a Dean ae bass w/case, a Line6 Spider4 15 watt amp, music stand, wall hanger, and straps. My wife was a bit shocked (she thought I was ordering a guitar :roll: :oops: ) so many new toys yee-haw!
Congrat's on the new one, did it get there yet?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats Daven! I like your approach. why buy one thing when you can buy half a dozen? :lol: Must have been hard to resist plopping a grand down on a nicer single unit, though. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Congrats Daven! I like your approach. why buy one thing when you can buy half a dozen?

Companies are gonna LOVE such customers!

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Congrats Daven! I like your approach. why buy one thing when you can buy half a dozen? :lol: Must have been hard to resist plopping a grand down on a nicer single unit, though. :)
I didn't spend too much time looking at the higher end stuff. I'm spending most of my time on acoustic guitar so the small modeling amp was perfect for my needs when I do pick up the electric and I have a couple electric basses and a nice little 45 watt bass amp but I really wanted a fretless acoustic bass and the Dean gets me there for a great price. I could possibly have bought a better acoustic 6 string but the differences I see between one in the 200-500 range and the 600-1000 range weren't enough for me to justify it. I'll need to improve my technique a whole lot before that higher end stuff seems like a good idea. Next, my daughters want to do some singing so microphones and a not too expensive pa or mixer.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I like that! Buying in bunches. Hmmmm ....... maybe next time. :lol: I'm sitting here sipping my coffee (just got up as I work nights) watching out the window. I'm on the tail end of the UPS route. I mostly just want to inspect it before work. The setup and all that fun can wait for the weekend. I'm seriously considering hot pickups, a Nashville bridge and most definitely need strap locks. The pickups would be GFS Crunchy PAT's so they are less than $25. Black open face or zebra stripe for 1$ more? Hmmmmmm ....... The bridge is only $13. Might be placing another order. Have to asses the stock Agile pickups first though. If they are hot enough for my tastes I will leave them the heck alone. I like the Nashville style bridges cause there is no bail wire. That is the style Gibson uses now. Funny thing is people pay big bucks for the old ones with the wire to put on their new Gibsons. They think the old ones had "better tone". I just like that the Nashville has a wider travel for the saddle and no wire to get loose and rattle or mess up your intonation. I'm rambling aren't I?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Have to asses the stock Agile pickups first though.
(doing my best Butt-Head impression) uh, heh heh, you said 'asses'. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I'm rambling aren't I?

You need professional help to battle your GAS, TR... :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Buying guitars in bunches....happened to me back in 2005. After seeing Status Quo for the umpteenth time, I decided I absolutely HAD to get a Telecaster. At the time the only electric I had was a Squier Strat....so I budgeted £500 for a Tele and a 30W Roland Cube amp. Tried a few Teles in the shop, but none of them felt right - bought a Squier Tele instead. I later realised that there's something about Teles and rosewood 'boards that just doesn't feel right. Anyway, with the £500 I got the Squier Tele, the Cube, AND a Freshman Bass and a 12-string. I had to put a little more to it to buy a bass amp, but it felt good arriving home with all those goodies in a taxi.

Funny thing, it didn't cure my gas - I bought an Epi LP, then an acoustic from Nick, then a year or so later I finally got a Tele - with, of course, Maple neck. I've got rid of a lot of stuff since; currently all I have is two electrics (Tele and Squier Tele, the Squier is kept in open G - and the acoustic I bought off Nick, and a beater acoustic in open G. I am gassing for another bass, though - probably get a cheap one when I can afford it.

I think, though, I'm finally at a point where I know exactly what I want....

Telecaster, standard tuning.
Squier Tele for slide/open tunings.
SPT acoustic, standard tuning.

All of which I've got, so all I need is...

a decent acoustic with cutaway, for slide/open tunings
and a bass.

Then I think I'll be happy. Once I've got some decent recording gear and somewhere to practise, play and record! Oh, and of course.....damn, it never stops, does it!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, it came just in time before I left for work. (Where I am right now ... shhhhhhhh!) I did have time to snap a couple of pics though. It was setup better out of the box than any guitar I have yet to recieve. Nice job Rondo! I can't wait to play it some.

Of course I need to change the strings. It has 10's and they feel so stiff. No life either, but not unusual for a guitar purchased online. Probably been sitting in a warehouse for a bit. 2 piece body as advertised. The neck is maple and with the light colored stain you can tell. Kind of pretty in it's own way. The jury is out on the mods. I need to work with it a bit first I guess but I may be inclined to just keep it as is. We will see.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Looks even better than the marketing photos. Wicked cool, TR. 8)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It is purdy aint it? Now the question. Do I mod it? The brief test I did to make sure things worked yielded some pretty decent crunch so I'm inclined to just go with it.

I've done some basic research online and it seems the stock pickups are pretty hot. Rondo says they are 17.4 K at the bridge. They are ceramic humbuckers and according to Mr. Duncan on his site warm guitars should have brighter pickups which are the Alnico 5's and ceramics. It seems they are matched to both the guitar and my taste so if I like the way they sound there is no sense in changing them. If I can get the vintage style bridge with the bail wire to intonate I will keep that as well. I guess I'm just shopping for strap locks. :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Woah...that is one serious Les Paul, TR!

Hows the tone and playbility? Any fret buzz?

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Telecaster, standard tuning.
Squier Tele for slide/open tunings.
SPT acoustic, standard tuning.

All of which I've got, so all I need is...

a decent acoustic with cutaway, for slide/open tunings
and a bass.

Hmm, as a Tele man, you might like the bass I bought a couple of months:

Squier Vintage Modified TB Precision Bass.

It's a copy of the '70s Fender Telecaster Bass and I just love it to pieces! Coming from a Musicman, I was at first a bit surprised and disoriented at the deepness of the sound, but soon realised that I had been running the Musicman with no treble on the guitar and no treble on the amp! Turning the treble to normal levels I just love the tone and the neck is wonderful, midway between the Jazz bass, which is a little thin and the Precision, which can be a little thick. The TB is just right. It doesn't have a great variety of tone, but it has a nice growly rock thump and a boomy dubby one that's suitable for reggaeish stuff. Check it out.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nope Rahul, not a single buzz or rattle I could hear. I didn't have much time with it yet but it played clean.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4