Skip to content
Having trouble with...

Notifications
Clear all

Having trouble with wrist while playing standing up.

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@idiot85204)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

After a jam session my wrist feels a bit sore and weird. Im not sure if this is good or bad. Im sure its because my guitar is too low but its actually quite high on me (kinda contradictory). Does anyone know any tricks to get your hand under the guitar more without raising the strap?
Or am i just freakin out over nothing?
Sorry if this post doesnt make any sense.

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Which wrist, left or right? If it only hurts when you play while standing up then i would raise the strap on your guitar, that way your hands will match the way they play sitting when you stand up.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@marshallsw)
Estimable Member

Try tilting the guitar to where the neck is higher than the body.

You're a god among insects, never let anyone tell you different.

ReplyQuote
(@idiot85204)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yea i do tilt the neck so it goes higher i think its just that my wrist isnt used to playing like that hopefully it will get better.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Have the neck point up in a 45 degree angle, and parallel to your body. Hang it higher. Hang it so high you'll think it looks silly, then hang it even higher.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's exactly what you need to do. Get as close as possible to the classical guitarists' arm, wrist and hand position.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Having it higher will save your wrist, be more comfortable, and help you play better. Whenever I see a guitarist that has his guitar up high, i never think "oh man, what a loser". Angus Young plays his guitar up pretty high, I never thought for a second he looked uncool.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I kind of low-sling a guitar and keep the headstock up. But I do not really play with the guitar in front of me. It is about halfway to being on my right hip. You can see this in my avatar pic. The headstock ends up in front of me a little left of my face. I think this habit developed from singing into a mic while playing. I can see my hands for some changes without coming off the mic. But it is a very comfortable way to play as well. It is very natural feeling (at least for me). It automatically moves the elbow of the fretting arm away from your body which is correct. It also gives you lots of reach. And your wrist is very straight. Try this position and see if it helps.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote