10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi there,

I'd been playing tens for a while, and liked the more substantial feel, more sustain, more resistance to the strum...

And I'm doing some stuff tuned down right now, so I decided to try elevens. I bought 3 sets of Diadarrio elvens, and I like'em okay. Until they break.

In a month of moderate playing, I've broken three high e strings, 2 b strings, and one each of G and D. This really seems excessing. Is it normal when you use heavier strings to break them easily?

Best,
Ande

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

This is tempting fate, I know.

I have 11's on my Washburn and never broken a string, yet.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I don't think they are easier to break but I know one way that they will break. If you loosen tension without pulling to add tension with your free hand, like a pulling a bow (as in bow and arrow) they may compress and pop. Or they weaken and save the breaking for later. I believe in heavier strings and always use an 11 in place of the .008 or .009 on a 12-string.

See the 6th or .008 G, that's my worry, and I give it an 11, because it won't last last long, at least not for me anyway. :roll:
http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ej36.html

My acoustics are light, very occasionally medium but my electrics are 10's FWIW. I have played 11's but I like to bend. :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you may have gotten a batch of dud strings. i remember a few months back people were talking about this, although i can't remember the manufacturer.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've never done that thing with holding tension on strings while detuning them, and never had one break while loosening it. I did pop one the other night while carelessly and hastily tuning it up on a rushed string change.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I've never done that thing with holding tension on strings while detuning them, and never had one break while loosening it. I did pop one the other night while carelessly and hastily tuning it up on a rushed string change.

I'm glad it's never happened to you, or brought anybody in for medical treatment. As I've mentioned, and not for sympathy, but as a caution to others, I have had several serious whips in the face and welts across the eye from that. :cry:

I even added that sometimes a string would pop, whip itself up & around, and land in my skin somewhere, like an arrow?

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Having moved from .010s to .011s, you might want to check your nut slots. Especially if you started with .009s way back when (seems to be the electric standard). Slightly larger slots (and some graphite for lubrication) may be in order.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Having moved from .010s to .011s, you might want to check your nut slots. Especially if you started with .009s way back when (seems to be the electric standard). Slightly larger slots (and some graphite for lubrication) may be in order.

That is a very good suggestion.

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'm glad it's never happened to you, or brought anybody in for medical treatment. As I've mentioned, and not for sympathy, but as a caution to others, I have had several serious whips in the face and welts across the eye from that. :cry:

I even added that sometimes a string would pop, whip itself up & around, and land in my skin somewhere, like an arrow?

i've gotten cracked in the forearm a few times, and what can you do about it? but after the first time i almost got hit in the eye, i learned to tune with my head nowhere near the range of a broken string.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

For the time being, I've moved back to 10s. :-)

It may not be the best solution, but it seems to be cheaper! (And it saves me the trip, as all the shops in my neigborhood have 10s- elevens are a special trip to the big store..)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote