Clear all

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@guitargeek214)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ok so i've been stuck in a major rut the past couple of days and i don't really know what to do. any advice on how to get out of a rut?

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Put the guitar down, step away and go do something else for a day or two?

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Here's a thread that lists a bunch of ideas (some of which originally came from Guitarnoise). Click on the link below.

What Do You Do When You "Hit The Wall"?

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek214)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thank you all so much that has helped a lot!

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

Just take a break and do something else. I work a lot so my problem is making the time to play even if it's while sitting on my couch at midnight.

Some things I do when I need to take break from anything:
-Go to a local home improvement store and look at all the cool stuff you could buy if you had thousands of dollars.
-Read a book. If you don't like reading a lot try and pick up a copy of an anthology of prizewinning short stories.
-Drive around and listen to music, maybe of a different genre than you are stuck on. Unfortunately in some areas this is a danger due to the ineptitude of most of the drivers sharing the road.
-Go for a walk and wave to your neighbors or make small talk with people you see. I have made some friends and good acquaintances (that keep an eye out on my house when I'm not there and are really nice folks) while just taking a hike around the neighborhood.
-Excercise. I've had a ton of ideas pop in my head while on a bike ride or rollerblading.

There are many things you could do, so I won't go on. Just pick something that will take your mind off what you're stuck on. Many times the block is in your mind and once your mind forgets about the block you can get beyond it. Just my two cents!

Peace,
jick

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

don't sweat it. in a day or two you'll feel good again.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

find a way to become inspired. once, I bought Neil Young's double CD Weld. I got inspired fast.
inspiration comes in many forms.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

My advice is along the lines of the others. Put the guitar down, then go *listen* to some music. Find something new though, maybe that you've never heard before. It could help inspire you.

I've been digging the Black Keys lately. Just a drummer and a guitarist, and man they rock.

It's a dry heat!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Don't put it down that's the last thing I would do.

I use to get like that in the past has happened lately but whnever it does I just go out and learn (or try to) a new song. It doesn't have to be hard as a matter of fact easy might be better. Just to get you playing something different to get you out of the funk your in.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@gasbag)
Eminent Member

Call a tow truck???

ReplyQuote