Notifications
Clear all

Help a noobie with fingerpicking...?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@yaakov)
Topic starter  

If you can alternate-bass fingerpick, a beginner would like to know: how long until you could play through moderate-tempo pieces fairly well? If you can, say how long you worked at it daily and for how long (e.g. an hour a day for a year; since everyone's 'year' on guitar is different, the bottom line is really hours). Maybe you've got students and can answer for them as well. [Not a whiner or looking for shortcuts; I'm just the type who's not as hard on himself when he knows what "long time" actually means;)]. Thanks.

(@hippychip)

Keep practicing until you get good at it---then you'll know. I picked it up pretty quickly, but I had already been playing for a few years.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Look at the fingering instructions in your music and follow them religiously (the p-I-m-a stuff). Once you're comfortable with those basics then you can start working on what might be more workable for you

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote