help an idiot with Powertab - please!!!

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi All

I am having enormous problems downloading powertabs. Well, actually not downloading them, accessing them once i have downloaded them.

Arjen tried to put me straight on this, but even his expert advice hasn't saved me.

Can anyone give me a real idiots guide on how to do this, from downloading the reader , the lot.

Would really appreciate it. It needs to be SIMPLE for me.....doh!

Thanks

Matt

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

mattguitar

I am certainly no expert at this. But I use PowerTab and it works quite well for me. This may not even be the proper method, but it works.

For me, I have to use WinZip to use PowerTab. Those files are compressed. I simply download the Powertab Files. When finished I just hit Open. WinZip pops up automatically and I have to click on that to open it. The Powertab File shows up on WinZip (it will have the PowerTab icon). Then I simply right click on it and hit open. The tab will come up with the player. Everything works.

Sorry, I am no computer wiz, but this is how I do it and it works perfectly well.

There are some free but limited versions of WinZip. You should be able to find it on sites like Download.com

Hope this helps.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

mattguitar

I found a good page that explains in detail how to get and use Powertab. Read it carefully.

PowerTab

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

On a side note does anyone know where I could download the Powertab player instead of the editor. The editor works fine for me to play songs but I don't tab anything so I don't need the editor.

According to what I read the player is more for practicing to since it is easier to loop sections etc.

If anyone knows where to download it I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I think the player and editor are one and the same. I use it just as a player and resource for printing tabs.

Matt,
Once you have WinZip things should work for you.

I do find, however, that sometimes Netscape just doesn't want to deal with Powertab downloads. I tend to use Explorer to download powertab files.

Let us know if you have any trouble or let us know specifically which part of the process goes wrong for you.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Tim

From what I've read I think they aren't although I still ahevn't found the player. I'm not sure where I was reading it but it was talking about how the player is much easier to use for practicing songs as the loop function and others are much more user friendly etc.

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Chris,

I got this site off of Google

It might answer some of your questions.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

mattguitar

do you have the power tab editor? or do u just have the song files.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I believe that there was once a player, but it is now defunct. Current PowerTab files are incompatible with it.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have PowerTab Editor 1.7. I got the link from someone on GuitarNoise about a year ago. It includes the player, I used it this morning. I don't use it often and so I'm not real knowledgeable about all of its features, but I have slowed the tempo on songs. I'm sure you could loop too. It also prints beautiful tabs.

Here's a site where you can download 1.7. It gives instructions on the right side of the page.

Free PowerTab 1.7 Download

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Thanks guys,

I have the PB editor 1.7 and I can use it fine. It's just not that easy to loop.

Paul, that's what I seemed to find that there was once a player but now it's defunct.

The editor is fine for 90% of what I do it's just not easy to loop it. I basically have to set repeat signs in the tab to do it.

The editor was originally designed for people tabbing out the music and although you can play them on the editor, the player was supposedly geared more for playing, looping etc.

Looks like I'll have to deal with it the way it is.

ReplyQuote