Help finger chord

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I am playing "Making Memories of Us" and the chord progression I am having some trouble with goes something like A/C#, D, G, D

First, am I correct that A/C# means that I am to play an A but use a C# in the bass? If so, how exactly would I finger that because I have tried a few different ways and without using two hands it seems impossible. Of course, so did the C chord before I actually could play it :lol:

I know I can play it as just a A chord and it seems ok.. But for learning sake, any help would be appreciate on which fingers to use to make the A/C# would be helpful

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Try this Geoo:

e-- 0
B-- 2
G-- 2
D-- 2
A-- 4
E-- X

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nils. That is the chord I am trying to play but I dont think I explained the problem well enough. I am not sure which fingers to used on which string/frets. If I make my A like a normal A I cant get any other fingers (like my pinky) to reach the string on the 4th fret. Hope that makes more sense.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Thanks Nils. That is the chord I am trying to play but I dont think I explained the problem well enough. I am not sure which fingers to used on which string/frets. If I make my A like a normal A I cant get any other fingers (like my pinky) to reach the string on the 4th fret. Hope that makes more sense.

Geoo
Sorry, I should have added, try to barre the A part then either the ring or pinky for the other. If you happen to mute the high e no big deal since it is a redundant e. And if you mute it sometimes and not others it adds flavor.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ohh excellent.. Thank you so much Nils. That was perfect and so simple. I would have never thought to barre it.

:D :D :D

Geoo

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Ohh excellent.. Thank you so much Nils. That was perfect and so simple. I would have never thought to barre it.

:D :D :D

Geoo
Cool

I would not have thought of it until you asked so we both learned. :D

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Or you might try this if you can play barre chords.

A/C# it is the top half of a full A barre at the 5th fret. This might be considered a "chord inversion" it contains the Root, 3rd and 5th of the A major, only the Root isn't on the top as we are always used to having.
A/C# A barre

e-- 5 A e-- 5
B-- 5 E B-- 5
G-- 6 C# G-- 6
D-- D-- 7
A-- A-- 7
E-- E-- 5

The D chord barre is also played at the 5 fret (A form with the Root on the 5th string)

e-- 5 A
B-- 7 F#
G-- 7 D
D-- 7 A
A-- 5 D
E--

And the G chord is played with same shape as the A chord (full barre 6th string Root) above but only at the third fret 2 frets away from the A.

The beauty of the barre chord is that the hand / finger shapes don't change as much as they do with open chords and that you'll find the common progressions (i iv v D G A) very near each other. Just another reason to learn 'em & love 'em.

... And I think I learned a bit here too. That makes it a great question Geoo. Now I'm going to have to take a listen to the song and play around with it.

Rock on.
Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote