Skip to content
HELP!! I can't stop...

Notifications
Clear all

HELP!! I can't stop breaking my G string....

22 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

My sweetest guitar is an Ibanez Artist with a built in EQ and a third, stereo, pickup. I play is through the board quite literally all the time as opposed to out of an amp. It's sooooooo bleedin' touchy I can't tell you. (I mean the logo on the pickups are a butterfly with fingers dangling from it instead of legs!) I use a set of .08's on it. And they break ALL THE TIME.

Solution??? Lots of strings. I buy 'em a box at a time...which ends up cheaper than any other way to buy strings.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@switch10)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Switch10, I posted this last September. There is something wrong with the way Elixer makes their G string. You need to try a different type of string. It's not you, It's not your guitar, it's the strings. In the meantime, Somewhere in there is the number you can call Elixer and they will mail you the number of G strings that have broken.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37879

Again, just use a different type of string. Bob Jessie
Wow thanks Bob. I've been using martins, which never break for me. but im definitely calling that number. I have about 20 to 30 packs of Elixer strings missing the G string.

Thanks a lot

Dave

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

As others have indicated, if it is breaking at the nut, it is most likely a problem with either the nut or the angle of the string going from the nut to the tuners. A good guitar technician or luthier might be your best option there.

As far as lubricating the nut, when I had my Kramer, the Gibson Customer Service Rep @ Kramer suggested soft pencil lead. When changing strings (I do this monthly) I always apply some fresh pencil lead in the groove of the nut. Since this reduced the friction of the string through the nut, I believe it will also contribute to making your nut last longer as the strings won't be wearing down the nut as much when you tune.

You mentioned oiling your tuners. If your tuners have a lubricating hole in the back (like the Klusons on my Gibson), try some Teflon lubricant (available at Radio Shack). WD40, 3in1 oil and others can harm the wood. Teflon shouldn't. Us it very sparingly, a little goes a long way. I learned this on another guitar forum.

One more suggestion, until you get your problem solved, try cheaper strings. I use D'Addarios and they sound very good. I change them once per month and they are cost effective.

I tried DR strings, and while the metal of the string lasted longer before corroding, I still had them go flat in the upper registers in about a month. This is due to the frets wearing flat spots on the bottom of the strings (I do a lot of bending). So the cheap strings suit my style of playing better.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@kaspen)
Trusted Member

Another vote for Big Bends Nut Sauce (tee-hee :D )

It's like 25 bucks. Would you rather pay 25 bucks for it or buy new strings every week?

It works!!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

If you play a LOT...it's NOT THE STRINGS...it's the fret bars. They get microscopic swaths on them from bending them over time...so they end up quite abrasive and will "cut" them!

No kiddin', folks!

Cat

PS: Just a thought: wonder if anyone makes titanium bars?????????

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ought to be a market for those, Cat. Never heard of such.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Ha! Just wait a bit...there WILL be!

Cat

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2