Skip to content
Help me, I don't kn...

Notifications
Clear all

Help me, I don't know quite what happened.

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@p_allen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I don't know how do put this but I have played the guitar for maybe 5 years. All the cliches apply, music became the friends I never knew I had. But something dreadful has happened, I have only just realised but I've stopped learning. I play the same chords, the same melodies, the same songs. The lyirics I write change but the tune is the same (metaphorically and literally). It must have been like this for at least 6 months now.

What do I do? :(

Pete. :)

P.S. I really do keep meaning to come back in earnest but things just keep getting in the way.

Why Do Other Peoples Shipbuilding When you Could Go Diving For Pearls Of Your Own?

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Listen to different stuff.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

What Ric said.

And not just different bands either, but different styles and genres.

Get real different.
Even stuff you never thought you might like.

Normally listen to classic rock? Try some country.
Like classical, try jazz.
Hardcore shredder? Try some worldbeat.

Go to http://www.soundclick.com and click on random musicians. (who knows, you might randomly listen to some fellow GNers)

Or spend some time listening at last.fm. Lots of independent artists there, along with a good selection of mainstream music.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

Listen to Underoath :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It can be all too easy at times to imagine oneself in a rut - the other side of that coin could be looked at as having found a sound that suits you. Some musicians - BB King, ZZ Top, Status Quo, The Stones - have been playing the same music for donkeys years, but they never seem to lose their freshness, and they're always very recognisable!

It may be just that you've hit a plateau of sorts - you're comfortable playing a certain style of music. Try moving out of the comfort zone and playing something different - it doesn't have to be too radically different, sometimes I find myself putting music to a new song and I'm playing A D and E - so I'll try starting with, say, a minor 7th instead. There are all sorts of little things you can do, but the main thing, as a songwriter and musician, is not to be afraid of experimenting.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

+1 to that, it really does help.

Also (and this may sound drastic!) stop playing for a while. Before now, I've gone 1.5, maybe 2 weeks without touching my guitars. When I finally do feel like coming back to them, it's awesome just to be playing again.

Also, you could try looking at any gaps in your playing or theory that you have.

Learn new scales
Learn to play some lead instead of rythm
Learn new chords (there are so, so many to learn!)
Try different tunings

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I agree. Find something new that inspires you.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Try learning some songs from http://www.riversofgore.com/ Don't you agree Ric and Vic?

Er....well....maybe....maybe not.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jimjam66)
Trusted Member

Recently I've read about two songwriters/perormers (Tom Waits and David Grey) who have started songwriting with an instrument they don't know well. The theory is that if you write with an instrument you know well your hands just take the paths they've always taken.

Why not try playing something else for a bit? At least while you're songwriting.

Cheers,

David

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OR - you could always try jamming with someone else. He/she's bound to know songs you don't - and vice versa. But you'll learn just by playing with others...a friend of mine has taught me so much, just by playing different songs at an acoustic jam. When we get together, once or twice a week, I always try to surprise him with something new - keeps both of us on our toes!!!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I think kent_eh hit the nail on the head. I sometimes think I've fallen into the same rut of doing the same thing over and over (sorta like groundhog day) :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Try learning some songs from http://www.riversofgore.com/ Don't you agree Ric and Vic?

I agree it's different. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I agree it's different. :lol:

And disturbing! :shock: :lol:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Check out youtube.com. Lots of guitar videos there.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@p_allen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Why, what a lot responses. Thanks for your input guys. I think the problem is that, like a few have said, I have gotten stuck in a rut and I guess I need to make the effort to get out of it. I'll try some different styles, stuff I'm not used to. I've always wanted to try some alternate tunings so this might be the perfect opportunity.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it.

Pete. :)

Why Do Other Peoples Shipbuilding When you Could Go Diving For Pearls Of Your Own?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2