Noble Member
Topic starter  

Looking for a few things:

1) carved, not laminated top
2) floating pickup not something mounted on the soundboard
3) price point under $1,000 if possible
4) general quality construction with no obvious cosmetic or technical flaws

Does this beast exists?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Honestly, if you are looking for a carved top in that price range, you will probably have to buy a Korean or Chinese manufactured knock-off that only looks, but doesn't sound like the original. Not that these aren't good value for the money, but in order to get the best tone out of a solid-topped archtop, its top should be hand carved and tuned -- and this costs money. Big money. In your target range, you are likely to get better results from a laminated archtop.

Are you intending to play some type of jazz? If so, you may be surprised to learn that many jazzers actually prefer lam-tops with route-in pups -- the classic example being the ES-175. Of course a 175 is still thousands. However, an asian knock-off of a 175 could probably hit your price range and sound pretty good.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I figured IF I find what I want in my price range it'll be either some guy who makes decent guitars in his garage or an asian model.

I'm just asking if there's something out there that folks know about.

I may well have to give up on a carved top, but I'm hoping :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You'll get much better quality for the $$ if you go laminate. Ibanez better Artcores don't even cost that much. You'd have enough left over to upgrade the pups and have a really fine guitar.

Sam Ash has a budget house brand called Carlo Robelli, that probably makes a "solid" top jazz box for under $1k. I wouldn't recommend it, but you might want to check it out. If it is actually hand carved, it can't be a tuned top.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

All the above links from Hue and Demo are candidates if you are willing to forego solid, carved top (invoking Nick's rule: if it doesn't say solid, it ain't or select does not mean solid) and floating pups. I'll add these models which are essentially the same in different trim: Epiphone's Joe Pass and Emperor Regent

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Gnease,

Yup. I'm aware of what's out there that's NOT a carved top.

I was hoping someone might know of some guy turning out ok instruments out of his garage, or an asian model that is pretty decent.

If I have to give up on a carved top then I give up on a carve top . . .but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask . . .

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

1 point for the Epiphone Sheraton. My favorite budget archtop. Very decent quality/price ratio.

... not that I'm a big archtop fan... :)

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Whoops! Forgot about the Epiphone Broadway. Now there's a sharp guitar! Actually didn't realize they were still making them, but this thread made be go peruse the Epi website again and reminded me of the Broadway....

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, the Epi Elitist Broadway IS a carved top, but the cheapest I can find it on-line is 2k . . about twice what I really want to spend.

I may just have to sit patiently and keep saving though, because that is a VERY nice guitar.

ReplyQuote