Clear all

Help me identify this Gibson knockoff?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I bought this awhile back & I used to know which Gibson it is a replica of...but now, I can't remember at all! :oops:

Anyone know which model this resembles?

BTW, check out the frets from the 10th up; can you tell what I did there?!? :D

(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

It looks like a cross between a Les Paul and a SG.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

There is an actual model that it is a copy of; when I first got it, I looked the model # up on Google & saw pics of it...

ReplyQuote
(@eljoekickass)
Eminent Member

Is the fretboard scalloped? It looks like it to me at the 10th and beyond

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

It looks like some sort of LP Jr. with a varitone circuit. Is the rotary knob for switching tone caps? Or does it do other stuff with the HB coils (phase, serial/parallel, coil tap, etc)? Who's the manufacturer?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

The award goes to eljoekickass for noticing the scalloped fretboard! It is a dream to play, let me tell you. It has a warm Gibson tone. The rotary switch selects either pickup or both together, nothing fancy. 1 volume knob for ea. pickup, 1 tone knob works ea. one independently, depending on which pickup you have switched in.

The brand is "Eagle". Has a Hard case; I am thinking of putting it on ebay; I really hate to part with it, but I need to sell something in my collection to finance another recent purchase. (more on that later)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It's similar to the Gibby L-6S. Santana used to endorse it ... before he jumped to the far better Yamaha SG

http://www.gibson.com/allaccessfeatures.aspx?aliaspath=/AllAccess/Know+Your+Gibson_+The+L-6S

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ah, thank you gnease! The L6 - that is what I was looking for. I remembered it as soon as you mentioned the model. As for Santana's guitars he is currently playing an awesome PRS neck-thru? design. Would like to own one, but at close to $3K, I'll have to pass on that for now...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Ah, thank you gnease! The L6 - that is what I was looking for. I remembered it as soon as you mentioned the model. As for Santana's guitars he is currently playing an awesome PRS neck-thru? design. Would like to own one, but at close to $3K, I'll have to pass on that for now...
Right, he's been on a PRS for some time now, but between the L-6S and PRS, he shilled the Yamaha SG for a few years. It's sort of a double cutaway LP. I'm a little surprised someone bothered to knock-off the L-6S. But hey, your gain ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote