Clear all

Help! Need suggestions!

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

9. Play two contrasting instrumental pieces: one from the jazz repertoire, the other from any repertoire (melody and chords) No student compositions

This is part of the audition to get into the music program at college, copied directly from the site. The thing is I`ve never tried to play jazz before! So could anyone suggest a cool jazz composition that`s popular and yet not so difficult that it would take me three years to learn?!

Also, any ideas of what I could play for the other piece that must be played?

I need suggestions---thanks a lot!

(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

autumn leaves is what i would aim at, must be loads of free tabs out there go get the one thats not two hard :) and very best of luck.....smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I`ve actually never heard of it but I`ll definitely check it out. Is it a jazz composition? Who plays it?

Thanks for the suggestion and for the luck...definitely gonna be needing it. :P

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Autumn Leaves is in the Easy Song Database. Eva Cassidy sings it on one of her CDs.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Would it be too much to ask if you could quickly copy the application down and post it here? Or if they have an online application, share the link? Not the run of the mill "name, address, phone number" type questions, but the ones like the one you just posted. It sounds really interesting.

I'd suggest Brubeck's Take Five, but they probably get a lot of that. It's definitely a jazz staple, though.

Best of luck on your application.

edit: found a pretty solid version of Take Five over @ ultimate-guitar.com: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/dave_brubeck/take_five_ver3_power_tab.htm

Powertabs.net has the same version up there, it sounds well (in midi, I haven't tried playing them yet) and doesn't look insanely difficult. I think it'd be a great tune to transition in and out of because it has such a great, recognizable sound. Easy to play around with.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Would it be too much to ask if you could quickly copy the application down and post it here? Or if they have an online application, share the link? Not the run of the mill "name, address, phone number" type questions, but the ones like the one you just posted. It sounds really interesting.

I'd suggest Brubeck's Take Five, but they probably get a lot of that. It's definitely a jazz staple, though.

Best of luck on your application.

edit: found a pretty solid version of Take Five over @ ultimate-guitar.com: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/dave_brubeck/take_five_ver3_power_tab.htm

Powertabs.net has the same version up there, it sounds well (in midi, I haven't tried playing them yet) and doesn't look insanely difficult. I think it'd be a great tune to transition in and out of because it has such a great, recognizable sound. Easy to play around with.

Well, there are different auditions, depending on what instrument you choose. The part I posted was from the audition for electric guitar, however, there are loads of other options! Here`s the link and you can check them out yourself: http://fclass.vaniercollege.qc.ca/web/music/audition.html
Hopefully, you can get something out of it! :)

Also, thanks for the tab! I`ll check it out and see what I can do!

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Wow, interesting .. showed me how much more I have to learn :-)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Wow, interesting .. showed me how much more I have to learn :-)

I`m glad it helped! :)

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Since this is primarily the guitar forum, let's make fun of the bassists. Look at all they have to do:
1. Major scales (one octave)

2. Minor scales (one octave) (harmonic, melodic, or natural)

3. Arpeggios: major, minor (one octave)

4. Two pieces of your choice (classical, jazz, rock, blues, etc.)
One Piece must be played from a score.

5. Simple sight-reading in open or first position (quarter notes and eighth notes)

Compared to the guitarist portion, that's nothing. And they've got two less strings, too!

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Since this is primarily the guitar forum, let's make fun of the bassists. Look at all they have to do:
1. Major scales (one octave)

2. Minor scales (one octave) (harmonic, melodic, or natural)

3. Arpeggios: major, minor (one octave)

4. Two pieces of your choice (classical, jazz, rock, blues, etc.)
One Piece must be played from a score.

5. Simple sight-reading in open or first position (quarter notes and eighth notes)

Compared to the guitarist portion, that's nothing. And they've got two less strings, too!

haha, maybe I`ll take off two strings off my guitar, pass the bassist audition and then put back the strings. Think they`d notice? ;)

By the way, do you have any idea what they mean by `4. Major 7th, 6th, 9th and minor 7th, 9th` At first, I was sure they meant that you had to know those chords but then, doubt set in and now I`m thinking they might also mean intervals or something.

And for number 5: 5. 7th chords, b5, #5, b9, #9...do you suppose they mean you have to learn the seventh chords with the b5, 7th chords with #5, 7th chords with added b9 or #9, ect. Or 7th chords + seperate triads with b5, #5 and seperate flatted and augmented 9th chords? I`m just not sure. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

By the way, clockworked, would you happen to have an mp3 of Brubeck`s Take Five? Even if PowerTab can play it in midi, I`d really like to hear the real version! Maybe if you have it, you could send it over? I`d really appreciate it!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'll second Autumn Leaves -- its' a standard and pretty straight forward. You can do lots of cool things with it and play it anywhere from a really slow ballad to a wicked fast bounce and it sounds good.

There's plenty of space in it for some improv stuff, and the chords aren't too challenging.

In the B section at the turn-around back to A there's a fun of E-7, Eb7, D-7, Db7 that you can do some fun rhythmic changes wtih (I tend to play them as hits on 1 and the & of 2.)

You can make it a really simple tune -- just playing the melody and the chord changes, or really complicated (listen to Joe Pass' version).

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'll second Autumn Leaves -- its' a standard and pretty straight forward. You can do lots of cool things with it and play it anywhere from a really slow ballad to a wicked fast bounce and it sounds good.

There's plenty of space in it for some improv stuff, and the chords aren't too challenging.

In the B section at the turn-around back to A there's a fun of E-7, Eb7, D-7, Db7 that you can do some fun rhythmic changes wtih (I tend to play them as hits on 1 and the & of 2.)

You can make it a really simple tune -- just playing the melody and the chord changes, or really complicated (listen to Joe Pass' version).

I guess improv stuff is something I really should start concentrating on then. I took out a book on Jazz theory and basics and stuff and it`s quite full of useful stuff. Now, I just have to memorize the stuff...that`s the hardest part. There`s just so much!

ReplyQuote