help veterans

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@doohdoohhead)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys
I need some expert advice from you veterans.
I wanna buy an electric. Im undecided as to whether buy an affordable guitar or be safe, spend a lot more money and go for brand name.
Which guitars would you recommend? I definitely like the Les Paul faded double cutaway, but if there are more affordable guitars that have a good sound, or are at least upgreadeable to a decent sound I would be willing to buy them too.
Please check these out and give me your advice:
(well, I wasnt able to post the pics-I dont know how, hopefully the names are enough)
1. Ibanez AXS32 $392
2. Hamer SATQ $419
3. Gibson Faded Double Cut-Away $689
The guitars are on music123.com
Thanks

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

A Gibson is always a good decision, but I think they are overpriced(Actually I'm jelous, im too poor to afford one) 8) . And i think the ibanez and Hamer are good, but try out some shecter guitars! they are exellent guitars for the money, for instance, Seymour Duncan USA pickups(those are good pickups), a Tonepros bridge, and other stuff for 500 buck or less! Plus they are 100% set up in the U.S.A in the Schecter Custom Shop(its a good custom shop). her's a Schecter: http://www.music123.com/Schecter-C1-Blackjack-i128477.music and heres all their products: http://www.music123.com/Schecter-p2134773565.music

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@doohdoohhead)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hey thanks yoyo 286, I appreciate your advice, and I checked out the shecter guitars but I just dont like their shape !
Can you tell me why you think Gibsons are overpriced?
Actually, I cant really afford a Gibson either!! But I am willing to wait some months to save up for the Gibson. I figure that if Im gonna spend 400 on a decent guitar, maybe saving up 300 more for a really good one is worht it. Thats really my dilemma!

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

If you like Gibsons but can't afford one look at Epiphones. Made in Korea, and set up by Gibson. They're not a Gibson but not far from them. Happy with mine and would buy another.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Hmm.

If you can't afford a new gibson... buy a used one! Most of the time all you're sacrificing is a little finish wear. They're built like tanks.
3. Gibson Faded Double Cut-Away $689
Not so much. You could easily find a used Studio in this range. Think nice finish, carved top, etc.

Don't buy something purely because it's what you can afford. Buy something that you really want, that you're really going to play, for a really long time. If you take your time, investigate everything, you can find it.

A good example is a Les Paul Custom, lots of dudes think it's hopelessly out of reach, and at 3k new, they're right. Check Ebay: 75's go for 1k-1200 daily. Have a hard on for that new guitar look? +1 buffing, +1 replacement knobs, done.

Catalogs are not the only option. There are more websites than just MF and 123.

Check out http://www.lespaulforum.com

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

wow...

that looks cool!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I think I'm going to seriously consider one of those guitars, mainly because of the 24 frets, good pickups and lack of a tremelo unit (i've got one on my strat knockoff anyways). Plus, I really like the look of it, it reminds me of some ESP's and Ibanez's i've seen... hopefully the guitar store in my town carries them so I can try them out.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

If I were you I'd go with the Gibson. I just love the way they feel! (Although they weigh a ton :D ).

In fact, right now I am saving up for a Classic LP. So far I got $600 in the war chest.

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote