Clear all

Help with choice important

38 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I suprising my father with a special gift. Either a American Standard Stratocaster which is about $1000 or the Gibson Les Paul Vintage which is about $800. He has played both of them and cannot decide. My mother and I agreed to make the decision for him. Any opinions. I would love to have the American Standard Strat but that is just me.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

What kind of music does your father play? And can I adopt you? :D

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

those are quite different guitars. the Fender is a very good guitar. I find them versitile. however, if your dad is a humbucker guy the Fender wont have the tones he wants.
what kind of music lights his board. what does he play on the car radio.?
give us that feedback and it will be an easier choice.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

He actually listens to Clapton. Hendrix, and believe it or not some modern rock. So it needs to be somewhat versatile. Dave Matthews also comes to mind. Just for my own knowledge how does a American Stratocaster compare to an American Telecaster as far as tone.

ReplyQuote
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

He actually listens to Clapton. Hendrix, and believe it or not some modern rock. So it needs to be somewhat versatile. Dave Matthews and David Gilmours new stuff comes also comes to mind. Just for my own knowledge how does a American Stratocaster compare to an American Telecaster as far as tone.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

The Strat will be more versatile, and if he needed to he could put a split-rail pickup in the bridge and get all the variety of tones he needed. I personally would rather have the Gibby but, I'm a humbucker kind of guy!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Clapton and Hendrix would suggest that you should get the Strat.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Although Clapton played tons on Gibbies before his move to fender, and Hendrix hasn't been unknown to play Gibsons either. I know you already decided against it but I would still suggest leaving it open to him. I'm sure he'll be super happy with both and giving an actual guitar is more fun but I think in the end having him chose would be the ultimate gift.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I forget what fable or whatever it was after, but if you want to find out his true feelings, go up to him and tell him that you've bought him the Gibson.

Then if he really wanted the Fender instead he might suddenly realise, or show signs or something. Not that someone wouldn't be happy if they got either of those guitars...
:D

I don't know. Maybe it's worth a try, but in a sense you can't go wrong. Also you could just get him one of them as long as it comes with a returns guarantee.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

First, at the risk of sounding like a snob and hurting people's feelings..... GET HIM AN AMERICAN MADE GUITAR!!!!! He's from my era, and although many of us will actually buy a foreign made guitar, we all know that US companies build a superior instrument. Period. End of statement. Whiners and people just starting our will want you to believe their copy is as good or better (cringe) than the real McCoy.... Don't buy it, because the US made versions use better componenets and most importantly get more "hands on" attention during construction. NOw, regarding choice.... I vote Telecaster! How good of a player is he? If he's going back to his old love or just starting, the last thing he needs is a tremelo (whammy) bar! While very cool when used properly, the strat's whammy bar won't stay in tune or intonate as well a a fixed bridge like the les paul or telecaster. Many great players, including Keith Richards & Jeff Beck, got famous playing tele's :)

Trust me..... He'll be happier with a made in america guitar!

PK

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Buy both, wrap both, give the gifts and return the one he doesn't want. It lets him choose on the spot!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

How about the Fender American Fat Strat?

Huh?

Huh?

Yeah, you all wish you thought of that.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

get an American Strat. the neck is so smooth. it is a joy to play. the 5 way switch goes along way.
adding pedals or pickups will make a great guitar better. I have two american guitars. a strat and a tele. they are always ready when I am. they will outlast me.

get some ideas:
http://www.williesguitars.com

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

First, at the risk of sounding like a snob and hurting people's feelings..... GET HIM AN AMERICAN MADE GUITAR!!!!! He's from my era, and although many of us will actually buy a foreign made guitar, we all know that US companies build a superior instrument. Period. End of statement. Whiners and people just starting our will want you to believe their copy is as good or better (cringe) than the real McCoy.... Don't buy it, because the US made versions use better componenets and most importantly get more "hands on" attention during construction. NOw, regarding choice.... I vote Telecaster! How good of a player is he? If he's going back to his old love or just starting, the last thing he needs is a tremelo (whammy) bar! While very cool when used properly, the strat's whammy bar won't stay in tune or intonate as well a a fixed bridge like the les paul or telecaster. Many great players, including Keith Richards & Jeff Beck, got famous playing tele's :)

Trust me..... He'll be happier with a made in america guitar!

PK

Dude, chill out. I'm pretty sure that he said in his first email that he was thinking of an American Strat or a Gibson "vintage" (whatever... I assume you mean studio or junior) which would both be American guitars.

You know... he really liked both the same? The two guitars have such different feels to them... I'm surprised. Based on his playlist I'd opt for the US Strat.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

-editied-

I strongly disagree.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3