Help with Getting "That" Tone...

16 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

Wondering if you could give me some pointers on getting an *exact* (close) tone to what this guy is getting out of his Strat in this song. He really doesn't do much in the way of lead work, just fill, but it is most evident at;

1:03
1:45
1:50
1:58

i love that sound. I could muddle around & try to figure it out on my own, but if anyone has any ideas to get me started, I would appreciate it.

Long live the 80's!!! :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IETvxCQAa1M

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Youtube says:
This video is not available in your country.

I've never had that happen before.

What was the song ?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

This video is not available in your country. :(

Don't know what that is about...
Anyway, the song is - Huey Lewis And The News - Do You Believe In Love

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I found another copy of the same song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDc6S330otc
The timing may be a bit different than the one you first linked, but are you talking about the short crunchy/screaming riff between the chorus and the (for instance) second verse? (in the version I linked it starts about 1:06)

I'd be interested in hearing the answer too. My guess would be compression and lots of gain, but that's just a guess.
I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get it with my Les Paul copy (they're playing Strats in the video).

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I found another copy of the same song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDc6S330otc
The timing may be a bit different than the one you first linked, but are you talking about the short crunchy/screaming riff between the chorus and the (for instance) second verse? (in the version I linked it starts about 1:06)
Yep, that's it. I absolutely love that sound. I wonder if there is a bit of chorus added to it?

ReplyQuote
(@ron-d)

Hi Guys.
My opinion is he probably recorded using a "Rockman" developed by Tom Scholz of Boston fame.
Everybody was using them at that time. Great OD, chorus, and loads of compression.
In those days, you wouldn't go in the studio without one.
Cheers,

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Ron,

I will check into that Rocktron. Funny, I don't really remember Boston guitars as having that sort of tone.

ReplyQuote
(@ron-d)

You could get the "Boston" tone, but more as well... sort of a "prehistoric" Line 6 POD... LOL

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Wikipedia page on the Rockman
And here's a page with more than you ever wanted to know about the Rockman portable headphone amps.

There's often a few on e-bay. The newer (non-vintage) ones are the "Ace" line.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, he absolutely has a delay on. He is also using some sort of distortion, sounds like a fuzz pedal to me, also sounds like he dialed out the high frequencies a bit.

That's my best guess. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well, he absolutely has a delay on. He is also using some sort of distortion, sounds like a fuzz pedal to me, also sounds like he dialed out the high frequencies a bit.

That's my best guess. Yeah, that sounds close to it. Funny how it is harder to detect "subtle" sounds & effects than if a guitarist has them on full blast. I really like that think mid-tone he is putting out. I will have to play w/ my amp settings & delay to see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it.
2,3,4,5,6, etc., sets of ears are better than one! :D

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well, it does pay to ask questions, I have found. I looked up the guitarist for Huey Lewis, who is Chris Hayes. Currently lives in CA, has a webpage w/ tracks on it. I emailed him about this question, & approx. three hours later he replied! Very cool, I was definantly impressed. :)

His reply -
Thanks for your interest. If memory serves me, I used a 68 Les Paul, and a Marshall 50, with a 4x 12 cab on that "Do you believe" track.
The effects were all in the mix,we always recorded all the guitars dry, but yes, there was probably some chorus,or a little harmonizer,
and some digital reverb of some kind. ( Lexicon 200 maybe?) Now I am using "Amplitube" software which is really fun. Check out the Amplitube Fender software, I love it, no more miking! Sometimes you still have to crank up an amp and stick a 57 in front of it, just for old times sake! Cheers, Chris

Problem is, I cannot afford a 5K - 10K 68 Les Paul at the moment, so I will have to work on getting the sound otherwise. :shock: I guess the strat he was playing in the video was just for show. Makes you wonder how much of what we see is not the "real deal" behind the scenes. Video may be shot containing one thing, but the studio tracks laid down with something completely different...

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's cool as heck that he responded. Kudos to him! 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Wow, that's so cool.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

Very cool; new appreciation for The News!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2