Clear all

Hey everybody! + my gear

19 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey. I'm new here and just introcuding myself... I am 16 years old and my music tastes are broad (Rock and Roll, Blues, Country, even some Jazz I can dig) BUT they they are also narrow, as for rock I like basically late 60s early 70s stuff, like the Rolling Stones, CCR, the Beatles, the Animals. Mix that up with a little rockabilly and you got me. I'm not big on much rock put out after, mmm say 1985 (for the most part you could say '75 actually).

Since I didn't see a "post your gear" topic or anything, I'd like to share with you all a picture of my rig. I run my guitar on the clean channel, with no effects except the amp's reverb. Treble is boosted a bit and the guitar volume is always at 7. I usually play on the bridge pickup.

I also have a bass and another guitar, if you're interested click the link in my sig.

This looks like a cool place, I may be here to stay :)

Epiphone Black Beauty Les Paul 3-pickup (Hawk)
Marshall DSL401 run on clean channel

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise,
We share many of the same tastes in music although I prefer to play acoustic fingerstyle myself.
There is a Post Your Gear thread around here somewhere, you would have to do a search for it.
There is also a post a picture of yourself thread if you feel so inclined.
Glad you found us here.

ReplyQuote
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey missleman!

I love acoustic fingerstyle stuff! Right on man. I wish I had a nice acoustic guitar, but I'm forced to buy a big bass amp instead, I need it for gigg'n. Otherwise I'd get myself a nice Garrison (Newfoundland made, the higher end ones are wonderful guitars).

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Welcome,
This looks like a cool place, I may be here to stay :)

About the best guitar forum around, you should like it here.

I definitely agree with your tastes in rock. It's refreshing to see younger players enjoying that music.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I definitely agree with your tastes in rock. It's refreshing to see younger players enjoying that music.It does present problems with getting in a band at my age though, everyone's into heavy metal and stuff. All the guitarists I know couldn't play a good full rythym if their life depended on it.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hey, welcome aboard, you will love GN

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member

Hey man. Welcome to gn. May i say, excellent tastes in music you have. I love that black epi lp. I have a black epi lp too. I guess good minds think alike huh.. Good stuff man, and welcome to the king of guitar threads!. :D

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

ModestCargo

Welcome to GuitarNoise, like your gear.

I own a DSL401 too. I love it. But I like the Overdrive 2 channel! :twisted:

Hang around, we have lots of fun here.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ModestCargo

Welcome to GuitarNoise, like your gear.

I own a DSL401 too. I love it. But I like the Overdrive 2 channel! :twisted:

Hang around, we have lots of fun here.
Hey... I've probably used the overdrive channels all of 7 or 8 times in the time I've owned that amp, I'm a really back-to-basics sound kinda guy.

But the when I did fool with them... well let me just ask you something - do you find OD1 useless? I think it's very thin sounding and you're better off just using OD2 and setting the gain lower... is it just me?

Hehe and yes I know what you're thinkin, he plays a LP into a Marshall for a clean sound? The truth is I just love the rawness of the sound, how it's all midrangey and british sounding. My dad played a LP into a Roland Jazz Chorus 60 in a country-rock dance band when I was younger and this is where I get my love of Les Pauls (and my love of clean trebly sounds).

ReplyQuote
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey man. Welcome to gn. May i say, excellent tastes in music you have. I love that black epi lp. I have a black epi lp too. I guess good minds think alike huh.. Good stuff man, and welcome to the king of guitar threads!. :D
That's awesome man.

Actually it's a funny thing though because black was the color I did not want for a guitar (fingerprints and such). However when I picked this baby up off the rack and played it, then played a bunch of other Epiphone LPs (including the 2 pickup Customs) it had the best feel and the best sound, hands down. It was used too, which is always nice because you can save some cash. The only new piece of gear I have is my amp - I fell in love with the sound and just HAD to have the one with Jim's signature :D

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Hi and Welcome to Guitarnoise. Nice picture of your equipment.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member

How do those three pick ups sound? They look great but its hard to imagine what 3 humbuckers are like. Are they cool?
:?

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

How do those three pick ups sound? They look great but its hard to imagine what 3 humbuckers are like. Are they cool?
:?
Well, the bridge and neck are your standard LP stuff (it's the best sounding Epiphone I've ever played though). However, the middle position is a mix of the middle and bridge pickup, but the middle pickup's wired out of phase so it's got a really cool sound to it, almost Strat-like but of course much more fat. Mark Knoppfler-like sounds can be easily attained with this.

I use the bridge for most stuff (some day I will have a TV Jones TV'Tron in the bridge, it's like a Filtertron pickup but HB size, more twang) but the middle is very cool for a nice smooth sound. If I'm playin' say, Little Wing (SRV style) I'll go for the neck.

Edit: Also dude if you play really distorted, it's hard to tell that out-of-phase sound, so if you're a "Metallica man" mostly it's not worth it IMO :)

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

that's all really cool and welcome to guitarnoise!

btw, is that amp autograpohed by jim marshall?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i like your japanese LP copy.30 $ BARGAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN :twisted: :evil:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2