Clear all

Hi I'm New! Need information on ShoBro

27 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
14.4 K Views
(@dellani)
Topic starter  

Silly me, I didn't read the post, just the e-mail you sent. I've been sick, so I'm not in my best form. The Shobros were made by Gretsch. I am assuming it's not one of the original ones made by Shot Jackson? Those are pretty rare. Unfortunately, my son is the guitar expert and he doesn't live at home anymore, but the photos show it to pretty good effect. If you need more information, I can ask my son about it. My advice is find a good music store and see if they can repair it for you.

"Play me a song, Curtis Lowe, Curtis Lowe. I've got your drinking money, so tune up your Dobro..." Ballad of Curtis Lowe by Lynyrd Skynyrd

ReplyQuote
(@dellani)
Topic starter  

This shows the back of the pegs. I hope it helps, Leon!

"Play me a song, Curtis Lowe, Curtis Lowe. I've got your drinking money, so tune up your Dobro..." Ballad of Curtis Lowe by Lynyrd Skynyrd

ReplyQuote
(@leonf)

Yeah, your pictures of the tuning pegs are exactly the same as mine. I'm hoping someone can tell me where a replacement might be found.

ReplyQuote
(@leonf)

On the Gretsch board, Antic noticed that a Gretsch "Chet Atkins" 6120 was selling on ebay AND it has the same type of tuning peg that I am looking for! Except they are Gold and I really would prefer Chrome. But the important point is that there are other Gretschs that have this kind of tuner.

The ebay page is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110207165875

I'm hoping that this new information will be useful in locating the peg that I desperately need.

Leon

ReplyQuote
(@dellani)
Topic starter  

Wow, Leon! Good luck! have you tried contacting Gretsch? Maybe they would have some information for you. That's all I can suggest. I'm sorry I don't know more about this stuff. Dellani

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Sorry dude, I don't have any information on how to obtain a replacement tuner, but perhaps you could replace all six with similar tuners that are a set? I don't know the value of these early Gretschs, but if you could find similar tuners to make it playable perhaps that is an option. Here are a few places to look:

http://www.stewmac.com

http://www.guitarfetish.com

http://www.warmoth.com

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@leonf)

Thanks, I will look into it. But I sure hate to drill more holes. I would bet that the wood screw holes don't line up.

ReplyQuote
(@fivewires)

I bought one of these in 1970s and I lost it in a pawn shop some time in the 90s. I was like 16 years old when I bought it and I was one day late going back to the pawn shop to pick it up and the guy at the pawn shop told me he sold it. I had the guitar for like 25 years and it was very dear to me and I have been trying to find it every since. The pawnshop I lost it in was in fort Pierce Florida. It should be easy to Identify, on the back of the head stock there was a sticker that say's Melody Music Vero Beach and there will be a imperfection on the back of the neck right at the at the head stock where it was repaired when it fell and cracked the neck during a gig once. It really broke my heart to loose the guitar like that because it meant so much to me. If anyone happens to find my guitar please let me know.

ReplyQuote
(@basilhenriques)

The date of the Spanish model is April 1973.. Because 4= the month and 3 is 1973 the rest of the serial numbers are the quantity that month, not of Sho-Bro's but all Gretsch models that month..
Here's mine..

And here's a link to more acoustic guitar info from Gretsch. Click Here

ReplyQuote
(@basilhenriques)

More of mine...

ReplyQuote
(@basilhenriques)

I did a duet album with Shot when he was on tour, I played steel guitar and he played Sho-Bro (seven string C6/A7 tuning). The master tapes were lost when the studio moved and that was the end of that, BUT I do have a dastardly plan. I'll elaborate later.
BTW I was known as Basil Hendricks in Ireland for reasons of my EMI albums were Hawaiian so my name was "counrtyfied" fit for purpose !

ReplyQuote
(@basilhenriques)

Mmmm that died pretty quickly ? :twisted:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2