Hints/Tips/Suggestions on... straps?!

13 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@matthew)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello!

I just bought myself a brand new Jay Turser strat knock off. It's my first electric guitar and I am quite happy with it, it's gorgeous. I have included a picture of my new child below.

Anyway, I think my new guitar deserves better than the black nylon strap I used with my acoustic on the extremely rare occasion I played standing up (which is why it doesn't have a nice one). I've been looking around the net, at online dealers and on eBay, and Levy straps seem to be pretty popular. I was looking at some of these in my local music store and they seem to be pretty good quality leather. I even saw a really nice one with maple leafs sewn onto the padding (yeah, proud Canadian here) which I think would look great with my deep red wood grain guitar.

I was wondering if anyone had any beefs or preferences with strap types or strap brands. I know "It's just a strap" to some, but I've found straps can be as personal as the guitar itself to others! There are probably some strong opinions out there.

Click for full image:

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Levy's is a good company I guess.

I can't reeally recommned brands buty I have a couple of good tips.

Many people will suggest you get strap locks, they are the safest way to keep your guitar safe while performing/standing up.

If you want to buy a nice strap, I say buy a leather one, they are decent quality and look cool

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Well actually I'm picking up one of their's as well. My brother is going to bring me one the next time he stops by.

Here is a link to their site with all of their straps. They have a huge selection.

http://69.28.198.16/Levys_2005_StrapAndBagCatalog/catalogMenu.html

I chose the guitar carved leather seen here.

http://69.28.198.16/Levys_2005_StrapAndBagCatalog/catalogStraps/36-44_carvingLeather/pages/carvingLeatherStraps_pg36.html

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Some people can get by with a hank of cord for a strap. It is all a matter of taste. It also depends on the weight of the guitar. I have a plain nylon strap for my Yamaha Pacifica (strat copy) and it works fine. When I got my LP the light weight strap was not enough for the heavier mahogany/maple body. I needed a wider padded strap to play comfortably for any period of time.

My guess is that with your guitar (and it sure is a pretty one, good luck with it) that the weight won't make much of a difference. So get one that you like. But make sure to get straplocks.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I own a Levy genuine leather strap for my Les Paul. They are heavy guitars so I wanted a nice wide strap. It is black and matches my guitar perfectly. Very comfortable. I like it a lot. Mine is simple, just a little circle that says Levy's inside it. I did not see mine on that site. I think I paid about $55. Not too bad.

Get a wide strap. The wider they are, the more comfortable they are.

And get a good set of strap-locks too.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

anything in a reasonably wide leather will be fine

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sounds like I'm on the right track. Unless I find something else I'll probably pick up the one I mentioned. =)

Thanks,
and of course, feel free to keep posting.

- Matthew

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Congrats on the guitar, very beautiful. How much was it?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I found out that straps do matter (or can matter to some).

I bought a new lot of 4 cheap straps on ebay for like 8 bucks for all of them. The guitar slides around on my shoulders with these cheap nylon straps.

I just ordered something better (and wider) from musiciansfriend.com for the guitar I used most of the time.

Nice Turser! I have a white Turser tele. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I own a couple of Levy's straps....they're comfortable and they look good!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I will jump on Levy's also. I have 3 of their's on guitars. The classical does not have one. 2 are carved leather and the acoustic has the suede leather. I like the carved the best. I would buy their products again.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I got my leather one fron Vox free for trying one of their amps. Doesn't nylon mess with some finishes?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Congrats on the guitar, very beautiful. How much was it?

Just the guitar I managed to get for $280 (Canadian) new through my guitar teacher who has some connections with the local shop. Of course then 25 watt Amp, $250, Effect Pedals (whole reason I wanted an electric after playing with my teacher's), $150, Leather Strap, another $50?

That's one expensive $280 guitar. =/ But now I have an amp for my acoustic/electric. I hear there's a $30 attachment you can get to make acoustics sound better on electic amps... more costs.

It's all worth it thought!

- Matthew

ReplyQuote