Skip to content
Home practice area ...

Notifications
Clear all

Home practice area - what does yours look like?

109 Posts
42 Users
0 Likes
24.9 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on your 3K, Chris.

I've been trying out Breedloves here and there. If I see your auto on my street, I'll know the coast is clear to go snag yours. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member

Man, some of these pictures are making me really jealous.

All I have is a seat next to an amp that's covered in picks, strings, tuners, straps, wire-cutters, and all sorts of other crap.

I really need to step my practice area game up!

Find Guitar Teachers

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

... the funny thing is... after so carefully setting up a practice area... trying to make it useful and tasteful, I end up spending 95% of my practice time all around the house. But, it is really nice to have a place to hang the guitars up, organize my books and materials and most importantly... to call my own. Every time I walk by that room and see my music stand and guitars hanging on the wall I get motivated to play. My 3 guitars are as much works of art to me as instruments and it brings a smile to my face whenever I see them hanging together on the wall like that. I just don't think it would be the same if they were stuck in their cases in the corner of the room.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The practice area (or working area) must be comfortable. It is not important if you spent 95% of your practicing time, the "future" practicing time will be more enjoyable because you will feel better and you will get more from the practicing time!

My practice area is a room where I have computers, books and other material that I use in the work. It turns to my "recording area" or to my "home office" when it is needed.

Reconfigurable.

ReplyQuote
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

This is the current location.
Now that the kids have moved out I would like to move upstairs but the wife likes it down stairs. She likes to read while I practice.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the wooden box shape to the left.
is it a cajon?
or just a wooden box?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

the wooden box shape to the left.
is it a cajon?
or just a wooden box?

It's a cajon. A Shallock I think, without looking.
The cigar box on the floor is a footrest to get the guitar body up closer to my arm.

Jack

BTW: This is a corner of my bedroom. There is a Hammond Organ in the other corner and a PA speaker in each of the others. It's a big room.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

How on earth have I not posted pics of The Man cave here? :shock:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That, folks, is how TR plays his trump card. :D

Still an awesome room dude! Gotta like pool table before floor covering. Pure man right there. I salute!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Agree with Roy top notch room. My room is big also but it didn't start out as a practice room it started out as a finished basement so I have carpeting down which in a way I wish I didn't have. It just gets dirty and needs to be cleaned all the time. I like the minimalist look of your room a real man cave. Nice flat screen that's got to be my next addition to my room I have an old scholl 27" TV but it takes up to much room.

Pool table is tre cool but I'd never be able to get one in there with the drum set and still have room for everything else to fit comfortably do you have a drum set in there?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

TR.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are not worthy
we are not worthy.

the man cave rules !!!!!!!!!!

what am I doin? I only have hula girl figurines around...not a skullhead in sight.
:oops:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Whoa, I say TR gets his own Reality Show! 8)

That was the REAL Family Jewels. :shock:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

First picture is awesome. Where's you get the prints of Gilmour? I'd love to purchase a few of them (I'm also a hobbyist photographer, please don't tell me you printed them yourself unless you took the photos :wink: )

My practice space is on the couch, on the chair in the living room, on the bed, on an old worn out no cushioning office chair in the basement, on a lawn chair out on the back porch when the kids are swimming in the pool, on the steps of the front porch when the kids are out in the driveway riding their bikes, and that's about it. It's where ever I plunk my self down. Inside the house is usually where ever the kids are not and outside is usually where the kids are.

Although I don't call it practice. I'm not learning any thing on this cheapie POS acoustic. I'd love to try out something nice just to see what the difference is and see if I actually could play something. It's more plunking around with the guitar rather than practice.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Looks great TR, all the stuff! I noticed the "Coffin case", that's cool. I've been gonna build/buy one for some time, never got around to it. What guitar/bass do you keep in it?

I have a basement/garage area that I could convert into what you have there, but it is waaaay too damp/humid to keep expensive equipment in it...

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thanks everybody!

The Coffin Case is Thunderfingers'. It houses a BC Rich Platinum Warlock bass with chrome skulls for knobs.

Drums? Why yes, but they are electronic so take up little space. I don't believe I don't have a picture. Just Sam's club cheapies but sound and play pretty good. Came with the throne and all. I could squeeze in a real set if I had to though. :P

Well, here is what they are, cut out on me the other night but then started working again. It was really hot that day, 90+ degrees so maybe overheated. They were cheap but I like them.

The Cave used to be a garage that was more of a shed, I've been thinking of finishing it off more but I thought the sub floor felt very "stage like". Pool table before flooring all the way though. :lol:

And yes Dog .... we think it rules! :mrgreen:

As much as I like the space the cave has, some of the areas you guys have look cozy, sophisticated, classy, all great places for being creative.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 8