Skip to content
Home practice area ...

Notifications
Clear all

Home practice area - what does yours look like?

109 Posts
42 Users
0 Likes
24.8 K Views
(@lue42)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

First picture is awesome. Where's you get the prints of Gilmour? I'd love to purchase a few of them (I'm also a hobbyist photographer, please don't tell me you printed them yourself unless you took the photos :wink: )

Thanks! First, my father is a professional photographer, so I understand what you are saying. I looked for a long time online for prints for sale of Gilmour... but couldn't find one. So, I ended up doing a Google images search for super high res pictures and printed them - but, it is not like I am using them for a magazine or something.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Bidding for second place...

This is way tidier than it usually is, and the guitars will be wall mounted. That alcove you see to the left has a bookshelf at the end, with my Marshal combo below and my music books (those not in use) on the shelf, plus pedals. I keep toying with turning it into a vocal booth, largely for the sake of having one, but really it's way too small and my vocals way to crappy to ever justify such delusions! It serves a much more useful function as storage space.

The rack unit on the window shelf is a rarely used Roland XV5050, but there's now my RNP set up on top of the pretty light-making thing (Profire 2626 interface) on top of the Roland. The mics get stored in a flightcase/briefcase. And there's a table out of shot on the right that serves as my study space come techie bench. I'd detail the guitars, but I've a feeling you guys might recognise them without much help... :wink:

And there's a massive spider living in this room right now. :cry: I saw it run under my computer last night, and I'm too wussy to do anything about it.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

down right cozy Scrybe. I love the ceiling lamp.
you can have my vote for second place.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Scrybe, is that a D-15?

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Scrybe, is that a D-15?

It is indeed, Nuno. Been wanting one of them since I was in my teens and finally got around to springing for it! Actually, El Cheapo Acoustico (the horribly crappy one with the massive FB in my modding thread) was my sole acoustic until I got around to buying the Martin and an Ibanez electro-acoustic. Noticed a massive increase in both my ability and my tendency to practice once I got some decent gear!
down right cozy Scrybe. I love the ceiling lamp.
you can have my vote for second place.
The lamp is, if I may so myself, utterly bloody Awesome! It's constructed out of white cable ties, tied onto a mesh ball, with the ends of the ties dyed black. Kinda prickly-but-friendly looking. A must buy as soon as I saw it, thanks for noticing. I love the vibe it creates in there when I'm pulling long hours; I'm tempted to fit a dimmer switch for listening (I like to listen and mix in dimly lit rooms, idk why) but I've heard they're notoriously bad for introducing hum. :roll: We'll see about that.

The spider's still there though. I think. I'm too scared to peer under the computer too closely in case it runs out at me. :o

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It is a mighty fine space and I love red walls anyhow. No hula girls and no skulls. This might sound spiteful, but I find it hard to vote for anyone who can read a chord sheet on the floow while standing up. I might have to go woth a Chris/dogbite tie on this on for 2nd. Oh, and I think it was moddrider who had quite the work station. :lol: :lol:

I think I'll tidy up the bonus room this week and take some snap shots of just how much crap one can cram into 228 sq feet. Aside form any I.Q. test, I don't do things in small, laid back ways. :roll:

just kidding of course about the voting thing. Just having some fun.

Scrybe, ask Electra-blue about her spider stories.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I have a D-15, too. Great guitar and the perfect tone for my ears (being used to the Spanish or nylon string guitars, the sound of the acoustics tend to be too bright to me). I love its smell.
Noticed a massive increase in both my ability and my tendency to practice once I got some decent gear!
I don't know if my ability was increased but my tendency to practice for sure! I remember I asked if one of those guitars are good for beginners like me and I think Noteboat said the correct words! :mrgreen:

By the way, I also have a Mac like yours!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

This is El Cheapo Acoustico - http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38852&hilit=little+mods+of+horrors&start=15

Not the world's greatest guitar ever made. Nor the most comfortable. And it was a step up on my previous acoustic - a cheapo classical with action almost a full inch from the fretboard (no joke). I seriously started getting sharper once I got my hands on a decent acoustic!

More later, gotta dash....

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

The spider's still there though. I think. I'm too scared to peer under the computer too closely in case it runs out at me. :o

Don't worry about it - the scorpion under the keyboard will get it eventually.... :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

A very warm and cozy looking space indeed. I like the paint on the walls. Nice color. The guitars are premo too.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

A very warm and cozy looking space indeed. I like the paint on the walls. Nice color. The guitars are premo too.

Thanks, the room was white before I had my way with it, and very cold given its position (the windows basically face a wall, I'm gonna board them up), so I wanted something bright yet dark for the evenings - I do like to create a vibe anytime I'm creating new stuff, so the red helps get there. And the lights. It's all about the light baby. 8)

I like Roy's space a lot - I can see me playing some chilled out bluesy stuff in a room like that, very relaxing vibe to it. And Chris's Monitor Decoupling System is awesome! Have you applied for the patent on that yet Chris? :wink: fails to believe no one's noticed yet :wink:

And one last thing......WE NEED MORE PICS!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

And Chris's Monitor Decoupling System is awesome! Have you applied for the patent on that yet Chris? :wink: fails to believe no one's noticed yet :wink:

Well, I never need to be asked twice to start waffling again.... so here's the full story on the Monitor Decoupling System.

Those are actually special High-Tech Vibration Absorbing Audio Pillars, and there's a story attached to them. They were inspired by Scrybe herself...

A week or two ago I was chatting to Scrybe about our respective setups for recording. In the true spirit of "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" we exchanged pictures of our little clusters of goodies (maybe that wasn't such a good choice of phrase... I don't want to give people the idea that I'm even stranger than I really am... :? .... ) Scrybe pointed out that my monitors really ought to be off the desk. She had some nifty stands and had even put vibration absorbing sand in there somewhere.

I was going to scuttle off into my man-shed and have some happy-hammer time rustling up a pair of wooden stands, but I was sitting doing a bit of thinking (as you do) and wondered if cardboard tubes might not do the job better, as wood can still transfer sound and vibration. The next stage was to imagine surrounding the tubes with some additional material that was soft, strong, and absorbent...

So after investing a few zillion dollars on R & D I came up with those stands. Each speaker sits on a tripod arrangement.

For marketing purposes I've bundled them in convenient packs of six (which will do a pair of monitors). Expect them to be available in discerning Audio stores, Music Shops and Supermarkets near you soon.

Special discount for Guitarnoise members.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Make sure you buy only genuine NEW original ChrisPak Audio Pillars though.

Under no circumstances should you consider cheap substitutes like these - apparently spotted for sale in South Africa. They're a rip-off...

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

We've got to do a small bit of de-cluttering and I'll take a few pics of the whole room. It has become quite the hobby room and general hang out. A place where wifeypoo can get into her jammies and come hang out before bedtime or enjoy the morning coffee without having to be downstairs where people can come to the door, etc.

The office is getting a big de-cluttering. After 20 years of saving every darned paper, bill, statement, etc, it's getting cleared out. It's got a futon and two desks and an extra desk chair in it. At one time it also held her standing easel and all her art supplies. Not 100% sure what all will get done, but she no longer uses the desk. Probably a goner. Perhaps some badly needed bookshelves will replace?

At any rate, more pictures forthcoming from me in a month or so.

And I love Chris's speaker stands. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I've got just the guitar for Chris to use with those monitors too!

I need some updated pictures of my space but .... need to tidy up first. Give me a week or two. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 8