Clear all

Hopefully, coming back.

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So I am just getting back to guitar, kinda feel like ditching the whole heavy metal thing, and going a different way.

I used to be pretty intermediate, playing killswitch engage songs and such, but I am getting back, and now self taught, so I need an idea of were to get started.

I'm hoping to get good enough to be able to improvise and such, but that might take awhile, and some practice.

So basically, I was wondering what songs I should try to be learning if I am getting back into the alternative, rock, just stuff besides metal...If you could name some bands that I should start getting into playing some of there songs, that would be cool. The most metal stuff I will play right now is probably Metallica, and I might pick up there tab book today just so i have it.

I am self taught now, so I dont really know if I should just try to learn some songs, or are there techniques i should be learning? Maybe point me in the way of lessons on this website that should help me out?

I've just never done this whole "Self Taught" thing before, my guitar teacher would always just teach me songs, and occasionally some pentatonic scale or something.

blah.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

don't reinvent all of yourself. gotta say that first off.
apply what you know.
next. play without stepping on a pedal for a good while. play clean. pay attention to how it sounds.
learn what you can do with it. sustain, damping, mute, bends. etc.
as for songs?
what lights your board? I like old stuff.
and older stuff than that lately. so I am learning new rhythms, phrasings and chords.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

So basically, I was wondering what songs I should try to be learning if I am getting back into the alternative, rock, just stuff besides metal...If you could name some bands that I should start getting into playing some of there songs, that would be cool. The most metal stuff I will play right now is probably Metallica, and I might pick up there tab book today just so i have it.

Just try to play whatever alt. rock songs you've been listening to. If you haven't been listening to the genre of music that you intend to play, then you'll definitely have to jump on google asap and start finding the bands that are widely considered to be the best in their genre.
I am self taught now, so I dont really know if I should just try to learn some songs, or are there techniques i should be learning? Maybe point me in the way of lessons on this website that should help me out?

I've just never done this whole "Self Taught" thing before, my guitar teacher would always just teach me songs, and occasionally some pentatonic scale or something.

Start learning the songs that you like. When a particular part in one of those songs has you stuck, then you begin to learn whatever technique is used to play that part. If I pointed you in the way of lessons, you wouldn't be "Self Taught" now would you? :)

None of us are truly self taught anyway. You (in a way) learn from the music and musicians that you listen to. I have never sat down with a teacher face to face. But, I have been taught by Wes Montgomery, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Duane Allman, and many more. But, trust me, it doesn't show. :D

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@aleholder)
Trusted Member

Well, I'm getting a lot out of David Hodge's lessons here on this website. They are really well done and the mp3s that are with them complement the text nicely. He has got a lot to teach.

Try 'em out.

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So you suggest that I should just learn songs that I like?
Sounds fine to me, XD.
I have never really learned a whole song before, but this may be my chance if I can find a song that seems like I can all the way through.
I have been playing clean lately, actually un-amped...so without all that distortion i do hear my mistakes.

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Infamous16

You've got to learn whole songs. I don't care how well you can shred a famous lick, or tap, or whatever, if you can't play a song, then you ain't a player. :cry:

Always try to learn a song from beginning to end. Many beginners especially will focus on the chords of the verses and chorus and may even master the solo, but never practice the intro and outro. Learn the song.

I will tell you a story I've told many times (but I'm a geezer, we get to do that :D )

I met this young fellow and his girlfriend once, he was playing guitar and was pretty good. He was playing all sorts of fancy scales, and his picking was good. He was pretty proud and told me he was studying guitar in college (can't remember which).
Anyway, I told him I played and asked if I could play his guitar. Well, I just started playing very simple songs that I knew from beginning to end and could sing well too. His jaw dropped and his girlfriend said, "Wow, he's really good!". I just laughed to myself when I heard that, because I am not all that good and I know it. But I know from experience that playing songs is what impresses people, not tapping like Eddie Van Halen. This guy knew all kinds of chords and scales and had great technique, yet he did not know a single song. Not to brag, but I blew him away.

Start with very simple songs with a few chords. Start a notebook, write the lyrics with the chord changes above. Learn to sing, you will get it. Then when someone asks you to play, they will think you are a good player. I've played with David Hodge here a few times, he carries notebooks like this with literally hundreds of songs. And he can play them all! :shock:

That is the secret my friend.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So learn whole songs, right them in notebooks with the chord changes and lyrics?

The lyrics do help out alot in songs, so you know if you are actually following the music right.

I just picked up the 300th issue of guitar world, looks like im gonna learn call of kutulu (metallica), texas flood (stevie ray vaughan) and ace of spades (motorhead). I would learn through the fire and flames, but its 18 pages long, and a bit hard.

Does anyone have any recommendations of bands that arent metal for a more intermediate one like me? thanks

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

im gonna learn call of kutulu (metallica), texas flood (stevie ray vaughan) and ace of spades (motorhead).

That is not what I am talking about. I don't know how skilled you are, but those are all very advanced songs. You can spend months just learning a solo.

Now there is nothing wrong with learning those songs at all. In fact, you will be a very good player if learn them. But start with much simpler songs that you can learn quickly, not songs that take months to learn.

So I'm not saying you shouldn't work on those songs at all. But if you really want to progress quickly, start with simpler songs. First you crawl, then you walk, then you run. And learning music is the same.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well after looking at them and practicing the intros a bit, they seem like they are pretty hard.
I had a little fun with texas flood, though. (the intro atleast)
Do you have any suggestions then? Maybe just a song that I can learn and then I can see if I am above that level, below it, or right at it.

Thanks.

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Maybe just a song that I can learn and then I can see if I am above that level, below it, or right at it.
Thanks.

Try some of the lessons right here at GuitarNoise.
Easy Songs for Beginners
Songs for Intermediates

And if you decide you do want to do some metal, try these

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks, I'll make sure to take a look at those.

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

Try folk songs, anything by Bob Dylan, anything by Tom Petty, anything by Neil Young, anything by Green Day. All of them have some songs that are quite easy to learn all the way through, without crazy solos.

I just learned "Saving Grace" by Tom Petty and it's pretty simple - an E minor shuffle most of the way through, a few chords, and a riff or two - but it's still a challenge to put all of the simple parts together, get the timing right, and do it at full speed.

Also, I'd start improvising NOW if that's one of your goals. Learn a blues scale pattern or two, play any blues song in "E" or a backing track, and start guessing. My teacher has me improvise regularly - I'm a beginner so it's a major challenge, but every now and then it sounds good and I'm happy.

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

blues scale pattern? Sounds good.

I would love to start improvising now, but it just turns into a mess.

I guess I could start learning some tom petty, and old greenday stuff. As long as it will help me out, I'm game.

thanks

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I listen to a lot of alt rock, And there are some bands that are harder, maybe more like your old stuff, but different.

Here are a few bands to check out:

Modern Alt Rock:
Senses Fail (Labeled as screamo, but post hardcore would be more appropriate)
Taking Back Sunday
Something Corportate
Yellowcard
The Early November
Alkaline Trio

90's Alt Rock (including grunge)
Nirvana
STP
Bush
Foo Fighters
The Offspring
Smashing Pumpkins
Weezer

Thats what I got going throught my I tunes playlist, hopefully that should give you something to work with in the line of bands.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote