Notifications
Clear all

How did you get "into" playing guitar?

34 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Three years ago, I was bored and had a lot of time to kill (as students often do). My friend had a damaged second-hand acoustic which he had never learned to play, so I borrowed it. I went online and searched for some guitar lessons... and lo and behold I soon ended up at GuitarNoise.com! Despite the ridiculously high action of the guitar, and it probably not even being correctly tuned, I learned the Em chord and there was no turning back! My friend later gave me the guitar as a gift and I still have it today (although it is barely playable, except for slide).

I can just about remember how crap I sounded those first few months, but I persisted because I thought it would get me some girls! (Actually it did the opposite - guitar playing replaced my social life. Ha!)

ReplyQuote
(@dontfret)

It seems to be a hard topic to get information on. Take Geico for example - all those commercials for auto insurance yet they never run even one commercial for finger insurance. It's kind of frustating for us guitar players. I think if I get a long-term policy now, the rates would be low since I haven't turned professional yet. Some of the great brain surgeons get their hands insured while still in medical school and are able to generate some serious savings on insurance costs if they can get a long term policy with a reasonable deductible.

And about my 8-year old son - yes, I'm serious. He only plays once a week or so but I think he has some potential.

ReplyQuote
 rtx
(@rtx)

Started listening to Linkin Park, then got into different things, the darkness, etc.
So I got a guitar, that was 6 months ago. I stopped playing.
Now im really serious about playing. My fingers are toughening up and im learning new songs.. I play once a day. For 30-3 hours. Sometimes 6+ hours.
Im the guy at school everyone thinks is the best guitarist, ( not because I told them so, but I just give that impression somehow ).

|My DeviantArt
|| The guitar is the human soul speaking with just six strings..

ReplyQuote
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member

I'm 26, and I have always had a very limited interest in music. I'd listen to the radio, but never bought a CD until I started playing the guitar a year ago.

18 months ago, we had a couple of young guys and girls at our church who could play instruments, so I decided to try and get them together into a church band. I needed to stay involved, or they would have lost interest, so I joined as a semi-tolerable backup vocalist.

For the first time, I had to pay attention to the way the music got put together. Being involved, albeit at a junior level, and seeing guys so passionate about their instruments, got me curious.

After about six months, I borrowed a cheap classical, and learned some chords. I figured if I could keep interested for a month and still be passionate, i'd buy a guitar.

A month after that, I bought an Ibanez AEL semi acoustic, and haven't looked back since.

I play, occasionally, in the band, which is fun, though I'm not very good and play super straighforward strumming songs. But I practice a lot of other stuff, too.

I'm thinking about buying an electric, too. No hurry, i still have so much to learn. But when I get a chance to play one, I do, and one day when I pick up "The One", I'll know:-)

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3