Notifications
Clear all

How did you learn guitar?

24 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
15.5 K Views
(@timtheshredder)

I largely taught myself how to play. I took lessons for about 6 months from a local guitar shop. After I surpassed the guitar teacher, I just bought books and watched as much instructional videos as I could. One thing that really helped me was to learn new songs. You learn a lot by learning someone else's music. I'd advise any new player to start there. Try to learn your favorite band's songs. It's a much better teacher than just practicing scales and exercises all the time.

My Gear:
LP Custom Sunburst
SG Reissue
1960 Clapton LP Reissue
Fender Strat '57 Reissue
And many more...

"Learning to play guitar is easy. Learning to Rock 'n Roll is another thing."

-Jack Black

ReplyQuote
(@martmiguel)
Eminent Member

I suggest that you check the academic programs from recognized institutions, or buy some of their books that way you will know what and how to study, it will help you maintain a path and see some progress

Director of:
Cursos de guitarra eléctrica y acústica
ClasesdeguitarraYoutube

ReplyQuote
(@khaiking)

I learned it from my aunt and also from watching YouTube videos

ReplyQuote
(@mecha-n)
Eminent Member

Just start from youtube and learn from scratch. You'll understand everything

ReplyQuote
(@music143)

I have learn guitar from youtube for 3 years

ReplyQuote
(@martmiguel)
Eminent Member

Practice, and studying, some years ago it was hard to find instructional videos, some how I managed to collect 50+ of them, I learned a lot from that material.

Today you have youtube, it is easier but keep in mind that not everyone can teach, so take your time to find your instructor and make sure to find the right one.

Director of:
Cursos de guitarra eléctrica y acústica
ClasesdeguitarraYoutube

ReplyQuote
(@orao_22)

I've learnt the very basics with a teacher, but I'm trying to practice as much as possible by following Youtube lessons and by looking for tutorials on this forum. It's slow, but it works!

ReplyQuote
(@rey-biadnes)

Hmm for me Ive learned the guitar during my high school and it became my main instrument as I study Music during my college years. It was just awesome! ☺

ReplyQuote
(@jimjam-guitar)

I learned by taking lessons at first, then moving on to self-learning from YouTube. I also learn from books, both electronic and paperback. Amazon is a great place to find such things :)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2