Skip to content
How do you deal wit...

Notifications
Clear all

How do you deal with playing in a guitar store?

43 Posts
35 Users
0 Likes
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

I put on alot of glitter and bring two scantily clad women with me, then set up huge spot lights for effect. The women do psychedelic dancing as I blow everyone away with innagodadeveda...in my dreams

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

...in fact one of the guys in the chain-store actually asked if I knew stairway when I was trying out a hollow-body, said it's the best song he knows for trying one out....

Vic

Salesman with a sence of humour or he was on a bet , hope you didnt let him win his bet .
:shock:

I can see the other salesmen peering round the storeroom door giggling uncontrollably now :D

Maybe he was a new starter , fetch me a skyhook young laddy and a tub of elbow grease

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

And for a horror story check out my post on what happened to me at a guitar store. Check "The Otherside" and rude music store. That store fits the Brit term of wanker.

What I usually do is play whatever I'm learning at the time like scales. Most times riffs from Metallica, Megadeth, and Black Sabbath work for me. Ask losts on annoying questions too.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

The guys who show off are more insecure than you are! Thats why they shred in stores. Just put them out of mind and have fun. It is, after all, a toy store :wink:

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

I'm sure most people who have been playing awhile know they are just showing off, but I wish I was able to some of the stuff I've seen in Guitar Center..even though they do crack me up :|

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

Crank it up. Bend a string until it breaks, then say you are interested but need to try it with all the strings. While he is occupied with that fill my jacket with strings picks and FX pedals and leave.

But seriously, don't be afraid to crank it, wank it or whatever to find what you want. If you suck, so what? Everybody sucked at one time. If people don't want to hear it they can leave. If you think you annoy them, turn it up louder.

Some places don't want you to turn it up loud in their place. Before you even plug in ask them if you can take it home for a couple daysto try it because you have to hear what it sounds like really loud and you don't want to put them, their customers, and neighbors through the pain. Usually they will just tell you that you can crank it all you want and then they can't complain about it.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

....in fact one of the guys in the chain-store actually asked if I knew stairway when I was trying out a hollow-body, said it's the best song he knows for trying one out....
Vic

Good psychology. Trying to put you at ease - even if it is Stairway. If you feel comfortable in his presence (after all, he is being kind and considerate to you - you may be a beginner who only knows the one song), you're more likely to stay longer - and the longer you stay the more time and opportunity he has to talk you into buying something - that's if you haven't already talked yourself into it :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@raide)

(after all, he is being kind and considerate to you - you may be a beginner who only knows the one song)

thats how i feel every time i go to a guitar store, even if i know more like 4-5 lol. i always get a little nervous whenever i'm in a guitar store and want to try something out, especially in smaller stores. but, after a few minutes, i get used to it and sorta block out everyone else who'se better than me (everyone) lol

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, I'm don't really think its something you have to 'deal' with at all. Everyone started out at some point. Play a few chords, listen to the tone, decide if you like the feel of the neck, the look of the guitar. Thats all your there for. You're not doing a concert, just a little man trying out a few guitars.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

hehe i dont have to anymore, my local guitar place has a soundproof room so i feel nice and isolated just as if i where practicing in my home... +i can crank it up till my ears bleed and all it does to the store is make it seem that black sabbath moved in next door. :twisted:

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjazzclassicalmetalshred)
Trusted Member

I just play easy new music. That way, I don't worry about screwing up, and noone comes over and says "Oh my god!!! You're so great!!! Play more oh my god!!!" well, maybe that wouldn't happen, but I like to think it would :wink: I only know about one new song that I use for that purpose.

Album progress:15%

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I read an interview in Total Guitar not so long back - can't remember who it was but he was American and he used "wank" to mean "shred"."Shredders" are often called "wankers," but it's not meant as a compliment. The British meaning is in mind. That guy just didn't get it. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Greybeard said....

"Good psychology. Trying to put you at ease - even if it is Stairway. If you feel comfortable in his presence (after all, he is being kind and considerate to you - you may be a beginner who only knows the one song), you're more likely to stay longer - and the longer you stay the more time and opportunity he has to talk you into buying something - that's if you haven't already talked yourself into it."

I have to admit, it doesn't take much persuading to make me part with money in a guitar shop!!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@cudaman73)

One of my friends and I were window shopping at the nearby guitar center... just cause i like to go and drool. it turns out he's actually looking at buying an entry level fender/squier. anyways, he wanted me to give him an impromptu lesson there. not knowing it was a faux pas, i, of course, gave him the easiest song you could ever play. three guesses :P Of course i feel like an idiot now :P

-----
"Life isn't worth living for unless you have something worth dying for."

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Stairway, Smoke On The Water, Eruption and Smells like Teen Armpits are officially banned in most Essex music shops. It makes people noodle with something different. I remember one guy doing a hugely distorted version of the love theme from The Godfather on one occasion, using a Stratalike through a small Marshall.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3