Skip to content
How do you deal wit...

Notifications
Clear all

How do you deal with playing in a guitar store?

43 Posts
35 Users
0 Likes
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The first time I went into a large guitar store I was terrified. It seemed to me that there was not a bad player in the place so I walked back out after just browsing. After going back a few times I came to realize there really wasn't many great players in there either. Most everybody was just playing the one song they know and are comfortable with or just pounding out power chords up and down the neck. And those that were good players were just playing scales, short riffs or simple chord patterns to sound out the equipment. Now it does not bother me at all. Actually, it took me longer to get comfortable in a small shop since there were less if any one there making enough noise to cover me up.

The good part is that there is not a salesperson in the world that will tell you that you stink.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I was terrified playing plugged in at a shop the first time, too. The place was packed and about five other people were playing stuff. Added to that this middle aged guy messing around with a Tele a few feet away kept looking over at me for some reason. My hands were shaking and I was paranoid and overthinking the situation.

And strangely, I've never really had to deal with the sales weenies untill I had allready decided on something by myself. Seems like they tend to ignore me outside of hellos.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Cool question.Never been to a store before , but i guess it must be pretty nerving if your a beginner :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I'll give you 50 or 60% on the neck

I was talking much more about the feel of the guitar ("Playing unplugged allows me to concentrate on how the guitar feels..."), rather than it's sound, sustain or whatever - no matter how good a guitar sounds, if it has a crappy neck, that's a pain to play, you're never going to get on with it

Exactly
:)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Yeah i came way out of left field when i started it was something nobody in my family did - i remember the first time i bought a pick nevermind "testing" a guitar i walked in walked out, went home and cut a pick out of a coke cap!

Man i felt so out of place.
Then when it came to testing a guitar the first time my freakin hands were shaking, palms sweaty... it was the whole 9 yards.

I still suck when playing at the shop, mostly cause you're playing a guitar you've never played and you don't feel comfortable with it (At least that's how it feels to me)

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

personally i always play stairway to heaven as soon as i sit down. its amazing how quickly people start to drift away from the general area, and it makes me alot more comfortable once i know everyone has tuned my playing out :)

usually just jam through a bunch of open+barre chords, a few simple lead lines, a few easy riffs and if it's an acoustic extreme - more than words.

i also just started on led zepplins ramble on, and im thinking that'll become a shop standard, it sounds so cool and its fun.

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I don't go into the store to entertain anyone, When I got my Gibson Les Paul, The guy got the guitar down for me and then he went back over to the amps and sat there waiting for me, Funny thing is I sat down where I was and played it unplugged for a while to get a feel of the neck, the sales guy was still sitting back there waiting well he sat for a while then I went over and plugged it in and just played some scales and chords up and down the neck nothing fancy did some bends but did not realy play any song, Some people just learn some song off Tabs and Blast it for the whole store to hear after a while you ears are ringing and then never buy anything they are just there to try and impress people, funny I know better, anyone can learn some song off tabs they are good to get your fingers used to moving around but that is all I can say for Tabs, I don't use them anymore.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

just what the heck is a wanker? It isn't in the dictionary and a guy on the local news channel used it, but he didn't know what it meant either

lol

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

What scared me at the guitar store was that the sales person told me it was a "cheap" bass....(all I could afford though)...

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Two things, first off if you are concerned with what you sound like rather than what the guitar sounds like you are taking the wrong approach. As a matter of fact, you are taking the same approach as the show-offs, you just don't have the chops yet.

Second, there is no shame in asking a salesman to play so you can listen.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Second, there is no shame in asking a salesman to play so you can listen.

Absolutely -- especially for acoustics! Get out front and listen to it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

Showing off their can be alot of fun, but the main reason I go their without intending to buy anything is the same reason people go test driving as soon as they turn of age: they get to use the best equipment and products ever built, with aboselutley no charge. Does anyone say a word when I go for that gibson SG and plug in a Bad Cat? No they don't, and it's a treat to use some great gear without having an obligation to buy anything. Plus, guitar center is my outlet for shredding, just like music theory class is my outlet for classical, jazz band is my outlet for jazz etc. Stop bashing on people who go there to show off and wank, it's just a release, and many of them are not trying to piss anyone off, they just want someone to compliment them on how fast they play, becuase rarely do you get that from anyone but other guitarists, and there alot of them in guitar stores. It feels darn good, and it's alot easier than getting a gig where only other guitarists are allowed in and you are allowed to play wicked sweet guitars at no charge and perform for hours on end.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@drpool)
Eminent Member

Ditto to the fear factor of shopping for the 1st time.

Here's a story for you: Earlier this year I decided to take the plunge and learn to play. No guitar, no gear, no clue. I walked into GC and told the guy, "I don't play but want to learn". Pretty painless so far, right? He then asks me a few simple questions about my music preferences, etc. All the while he never looks up at me from the re-string job he's got going on the counter. So I tell him a few of my favs, mostly 80's type stuff and he immediately looks up and yells at full volume to another sales guy, "HEY DANNY, WE GOT A ROCKER HERE!!" I instantly told him to shut up and that he didn't need to be broadcasting his pre-formed opinion of the 40-ish guy that wants to learn to play. When I turned around to see Danny coming, there's 15-20 people looking over at me hoping to see a 'rocker'. What they saw was an insurance guy in khakis and an oxford shirt on his lunch hour.

In fact, Danny was a pretty good dude. I told him I couldn't even play a chord so he went through a few simple things and really helped me out a lot. Maybe that initial humiliation has made it easier for me since. It can't get much worse than I felt at that moment.

I still can't play a whole lot, but I figure screw'em if they aren't impressed. I agree with what was said earlier in the thread,'everybody sucked at one time'. Go have fun with it and don't worry about anyone else. You can bet there are a couple others in the store who are feeling that initial terror as well.

Next time you go and you're feeling nervous, just walk in and boldly proclaim, "Hey everyone, there's a rocker in the house", after that you'll never be embarassed again.

dp

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3