Clear all

How do you get a gig?

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm not thinking about a career in mucic just yet, but when I am (that is, when I have a band and everything) how do I get a gig? who do I ask???

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Try this and other articles from our sister site - which recently got a huge make-over!

Music Careers: How To Advertise Yourself and Your Band

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyt60)
Eminent Member

The way I normally get gigs is with demo cds. If you don't have one, I would first recommend getting one together. Today's club/bar owners are very busy and get alot of offers. Back it up with a disc and get going.
-Ben

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

Its kinda like getting a date, they have to remember you. Leave a disk, or a T shirt or something, you just need to make an impression because, like was said, they get a lot of offers.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@chris_skilton)
Trusted Member

Try and find a guitar teacher or somet that can get u into a gig. Soon i am gettin one and on his webby it sais it all. So look around in papers and stuff and try and find one..... :idea:

Woot Woot!!

ReplyQuote
(@switch10)
Trusted Member

play open mics.

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Impromptu performance in the early hours of opening (the afternoon crowd even)... walk in with a few accoustics, and whatever drums you can walk in with and play (pair of bongos hehe). Play a song, no setup time, tell me that wouldn't impress (assuming your band is competant). Now if you plan to put on a heavy metal concert well... that might not work as well but having a CD won't hurt especially if what your show consists of is significanly difference than this instant performance deal.

I can't gaurentee that the owner might not chase you out with a shotgun or at least a broom or something so it probably helps if the place is fairly empty when you show up (no major sporting event being shown on tv etc... a few of the local places here that do live music are restaurants during the day... those probably wouldn't be good choices of places to try this, but maybe a little dinner music, heck, I dunno, but I have a hard time believing you wouldn't be remembered, we can only hope remembered favorably and not as the dude who got pelted with rock salt).

ReplyQuote
(@seansdadj)

you just got to keep grinding it out you got to keep doing shows man sorry to tell you theres no short cuts

ReplyQuote
(@bluenotefla)
Estimable Member

The thing is that you need to play as often and as publicly as possible, play anywhere that will let you. You may have to play for free sometimes but if there is big enough crowed there may be someone there that will want you to play for them elsewhere for money. Make a CD and a complete Press package, pictures, Bios, the whole nine yards. You may not want this to be your career but, you do want them to see you as a professional, not just some guy that plays guitar. Make a page that you can send prospective clients to,so they can see and hear your band. Make a video and place it on u tube connect to your page, Here's a link to a page that you can use for free , http://www.yuwie.com/yuwie.asp?r=28674
You can make a my space page as well here's my ,My space page http://www.myspace.com/frankwhitenack

The most important thing is that you must be ready to fallow though with what you say you can do. You will need to be persistent in you searches for work, and patient with the people you meet in the business, they all think that there club, restaurant, or event is the most important one in the world, and in their world it is, so remember that and treat them accordingly. This will pay off but make no mistake about it, this is a business, and it takes a lot of work to make it happen. However when it does work you will be able to make money doing one of your favorite things, playing music for other people, be in the lights, and live out a dream, even if it's only at the bar around the corner. You never know you could end up playing for thousands, but, it all starts with the little things and the work it takes to get there, so hang in there, and for god sake have fun with it, because if it is not you will grown to hate it, and that not what we started playing music for is it?

Life is not what you did. It's what you are doing.

ReplyQuote
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member

II have been playing in bands since I was 15 so its been about 10 years now. Gigged with bands all over the UK, but mostly in the South Wales area. My experience has taught me that there are a few things you need to think about before you start looking for gigs. What kind of music do you play? not blues, rock or metal but do you work well in mainstream music or do you sit more comfortably in the "Underground" music scene? If your closer to the mainstream then the best thing to do is pop in to see all the local pub/club owners who put on bands and live acts. Find out if they are looking for covers and crowd pleasers or original work. If you are more "avant-garde" then find out which venues put on live acts that are looking for new and fresh bands with different ideas. At this point you would be best getting a demo together to hand to them. After you have made a few contacts and played a few gigs you will find that more will come along without you searching for them. Speak to other bands and get in with them on mini tours and small festivals. Befriend the staff from a local club that has a good reputation and puts on musical acts most nights and keep plugging away. If you struggle to get your first gig find out if there is a local band similar to yourselves that have a PA system and set up a gig of your own at a town hall or a club with a function room and invite all your friends, you'll be surprised how many people will turn up if you tell everyone you know.

Another quick tip is to do something on your first gig that will force people to remember you. I know we musicians like to think that people will remember the music and that will be enough but that's a bit of a romantic notion that doesn't always happen. As an example; when we got back on the road as a new band we all wore a different animal mask and an all black suite with flashing yellow ties and tied fake full sized skeletons to our amps and the drum kit. It all looked a bit scary but people remembered the gigs and left messages on the old myspace commenting on the outfits and props.

a cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education

ReplyQuote
(@jthomas23)

:D Ok So I wrote a novel here....

To learn how to convince a venue to give you a gig, you have to first understand why a venue has live music in the first place.

Most venues are bars or nightclubs where patrons come to socialize. In business terms, these are places where people come to socialize, sometimes paying a cover charge and hopefully lots of alcohol $$$. This type of venue makes up the majority of venue-types in most major cities.

Other venues for live music may be 'free' sources, where revenue is not a factor or required by selling booze (underage patrons). This would be a YMCA, or other youth-groups, a rented gym, somebody's basement, school lock-ins, city-park, etc... Some would say that these venues are 'easier' to get into, and they are correct. In many cases these venues are just looking to populate their area with people so their 'event' is considered a success by some other judge than the money-collector - so they choose a live band as entertainment. Of course raising money is important for them too. Ask around your school for these types of places.

You are a Risk:

Back to getting gigs at bars...you have to understand that you are a risk. The venue is a business so you must assume a business attitude when approaching them. Speak their language. The venue is primarily interested in several things, listed by importance: 1) How many people Guaranteed will come 2) If those people are old enough to buy alcohol 3) If your music matches the musical interest of the bar's typical patron 4) What venues you've played at before. If you fail to prove that you can offer these things in your "approach", then you will most likely not get the gig.

Standing out from the Pile:

Suppose you have never played anywhere before and you are looking to score a gig at a local bar where similar bands have played. Realize that the club booker has many many bands to choose from - why should he put your band on the bill as opposed to some other band?

In order to get a gig at a venue, you must submit a professional 'demo kit' or ideally, 'press kit' a few weeks before you actually approach them for a gig (call or visit). Since you probably don't have press articles to show, screw it for now - you don't need them. You just have to prove that you are 1) professional 2) interested in making the venue money 3) capable of bringing in thirsty fans.

Professional from multiple angles:

Professional Demo CDs are essential for getting gigs at bars. But if you think that your amazing track #3 is going to blow the booker away and he'll instantly pen you for a Saturday night, you're dead wrong. The truth about your demo is - it is just a backup quality/reputation check, not a dealmaker. It is just another symbol of your 'value' as a band. (a valuable band = money for the venue = the booker doesn't get fired.) What else is considered?

Local Press Clippings: For starting bands, a booker most likely has never heard of your band. In order for him to have heard of your band, you would probably have needed to score some decent local press - in which case you probably wouldn't be reading a How To Get Gigs 101 article right now. Although this is the best way to impress a booker, press isn't essential for getting gigs.

Professional Approach and Persistence: Get the name of the person who does the bookings at the club. Find out what day/time they are going to be there. Mail in your demo kit/press kit and wait 3 weeks. Now what?

Professional Approach:

Now you have to approach them. They will not call you up. There is Art in the 'chase' to score the gig. It all revolves around the concept of Professional Presentation at every angle. You must be excellent on the phone. You must have a powerful voice that just oozes out confidence and value. If you are uncomfortable 'getting your way' with people on the phone and often buckle under more powerful speakers, FIND SOMEBODY ELSE TO CALL THE CLUBS. The speaker must convey that this band is legitimate, serious, determined, experienced, aware of 'the business'...

In all my experience with bookers, I have found they all share a very similar characteristic: they are FAST - they talk fast, think fast, and hang up even FASTER. Know what you are going to say before you call. If you've done the work already (put together a professional demo kit, addressed the package to the attention of the booker, included a quality demo CD and perhaps a quick cover letter) the booker should be somewhat 'happy' to speak with you on the phone. This is rare...the booker usually will scurry to remember what band you are speaking of and where he threw your stuff. Be patient but firm.

Recall why the venue is in business - to make MONEY. What do you have to offer that will help them reach this goal? Keep this always in the back of your mind when dealing with music business folk.

I got off on a major spin here but unfortunately I have to go...hopefully this helped you. Check out my site for more articles on that sorta stuff!

-Rick

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member

read and take in the last post by rickdini. everything he said is true in my opinion and experience. as a starter, you may be able to get some smaller gigs by playing open mics at a local venue that already has a crowd. if the crowd responds well to your music and stays to hear more, the venue may be willing to book you for a proper gig later, even though you're unknown and don't have a following to bring in. So for starters, look for places that have "built-in" crowds. Also, when you go to open mics or the like, ou may meet other musicians who have gigs and may be willing to put you on during their break, or have you open for them.

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

ReplyQuote
(@seansdadj)

Talk to other bands in your area, also check a local music newspaper/magazine, and also just check online! :)

ReplyQuote