Clear all

How do you hold your pick?

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

When i first started playing i used my first 2 fingers and my thumb. But now i use my first finger and thumb (it looks like how you make the ok sign). I get a lot more picking control and it gives me 3 fingers to finger pick or do other things like mess with the volume and the pickup switch.

Just wondering how everyone here holds theirs.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Ditto on that but I actually use the rounded part of the pick with the point facing the neck, wierd huh?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Same here..3 for 3 so far :smile:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

with my teeth :D

actually, i don't use em, just couldn't resist :twisted:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i had a feeling most people would hold it the same way because almost everywhere i've seen recomends holding it that way. I think Eddie Van Halen used the first two and the thumb though.
Oh you can always hold two picks at the same time too or super glue them together to make a shark fin type pick/.

Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

with my teeth :D

actually, i don't use em, just couldn't resist :twisted:

I was waiting for that :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

When i first started i held it with first finger and thumb, however i cou;dn't keep it in place, it kept slipping and my strumming was severly hampered. My teacher had me hold it similar to the way art & lutherie does first two fingers but with the round side on the strings and the pointed end towards the nut. The sound difference is noticeable as you get a fuller sound which I liked. However when I tried to strum a few strings at a time, say the 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings, it wasn't smooth at all, no matter how much i tried. The side just didnt flex like the tip. So i'll probably use both methods depending on what i'm after.

Rythym: side
Single notes and partial chords: finger/thumb

Art & Lutherie - What style playing do you do? I like the fuller sound of the pick on the side but as stated above I have problems with the lack of flex when trying to partial strum select strings. How does this pick position affect your playing?

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

1st finger & thumb. 2nd finger & thumb if I'm tapping or doing artificial harmonics.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

First Finger and thumb. Also like the rounded , bigger fatter, edge--Like the tone. With small point facing the my palm.

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Lately I like playing without a pick on acoustic, but I am totally shredding my nails - the strings affect them like sandpaper. I had to stop playing like that the other week while my nail grew out coz it basically wore through halfway down.........

Now I'm using clear nail polish, but I have to re-apply it every time I play. I can't see any other way to get around this apart from changing the style, but I love the sound you get.

Anyone else have this problem or have better fixes than daily painting of nails? I might start painting designs on there soon lol.

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Forgot to answer the topic....I hold my pick between thumb and first finger, but use the pointy end like normal people!! lol

Do you people lean your little finger on the body of the guitar or not?

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

Lately I like playing without a pick on acoustic, but I am totally shredding my nails - the strings affect them like sandpaper. I had to stop playing like that the other week while my nail grew out coz it basically wore through halfway down.........

Now I'm using clear nail polish, but I have to re-apply it every time I play. I can't see any other way to get around this apart from changing the style, but I love the sound you get.

Anyone else have this problem or have better fixes than daily painting of nails? I might start painting designs on there soon lol.

Acrylic nail sets. Can get them over the counter at any grocery store or RX Store.

ReplyQuote
(@telemarker)
Trusted Member

I used to 'pinch' the pick between my thumb and first finger until I had a teacher suggest I hold it between my thumb and the side of my first finger (like a loose fist, sort of). the difference in tone is unbelievable - pinching the pick sounds thin and dainty (for lack of a better word), whereas the thumb and side of the finger sounds full, rich, and confident. I'll never go back.

Oh yeah, and I play with the correct part of the pick. :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Thumb and Index when using a pick. I also cut the tip to a fine point.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Forgot to answer the topic....I hold my pick between thumb and first finger, but use the pointy end like normal people!! lol

Do you people lean your little finger on the body of the guitar or not?

Yeah i lean my pinkey on the guitar, it helps me keep my place on the strings.

ReplyQuote