Skip to content
How important is it...

Notifications
Clear all

How important is it to learn to read music on top of tabs?

82 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member

It's fairly safe to say, though, that 1. reading notes wasn't considered important before large-ensemble pieces, and that 2. the large ensemble pieces came from the secular music tradition, not the church.

Yes, this was interesting. It seems that there was a much more complicated relation between secular and church music than I thought. I had a picture in my head of a much simpler relation: church music supplanted secular music. But now it seems I was wrong, they melted together, right? Well, enough about that.

If I want to learn to read and write music really, really good, are there methods considered more effective than others? Are there special excercises? I feel that I have reached a point where I want to be able to rapidly write down my ideas. Today I write my music in Sibelius, but I feel a bit awkward. I want to learn to write down the music with pen and paper instead, and just use Sibelius when the pieces are finnished. I want to break free from the guitar, because today I feel like I just play the same things over and over again. It's more like my fingers compose than my head, and I want to play intelligent music, not just follow my fingers in the same thoughtless patterns as yesterday.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's funny - people used to think that 'real' composers were the ones who could sit out in a meadow and write a symphony with nothing but pen and paper.... and writers who composed at the piano or another instrument were using it as a crutch.

Then a composer - Stravinsky as I recall - fessed up to the fact that he wrote at the piano. Then a whole bunch more sheepishly said 'yeah, I guess I do that too'.

There's no substitute for practice, but ear training (and sight singing) help. Try writing down ideas, then play them and see how close you got.

I sometimes picture myself playing the guitar when I'm writing - make it easier to visualize the notes I want.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

If I want to learn to read and write music really, really good, are there methods considered more effective than others?

First, what instruments do you play? If just guitar, start with a beginner method book like the Berklee or Mel Bay series.

You'll quickly be learning all the notes, rests, the staff, etc. It won't take that long to get the hang of what they're doing.

Once you get through those method books you'll be able to read pretty well. Now pick up sheet music. Lots and lots and lots of sheet music and play it.

Pick up simple pieces to practice sight reading with, and complicated pieces to practice working through a harder score with. You should get to the point where you're fairly "conversant" in 6 months to a year if you work at it a little every day.
I have reached a point where I want to be able to rapidly write down my ideas. Today I write my music in Sibelius, but I feel a bit awkward. I want to learn to write down the music with pen and paper instead, and just use Sibelius when the pieces are finnished. I want to break free from the guitar, because today I feel like I just play the same things over and over again. It's more like my fingers compose than my head, and I want to play intelligent music, not just follow my fingers in the same thoughtless patterns as yesterday.

Learning to be able to "hear" a composition or conversly, being able to write what you "hear" in your head requires a trained ear. There's lots of ear training software out there. One thing you want to train is your ability to distinguish absolute pitch as well as relative pitch.

Relative pitch is someone plays a starting note, then they play an interval in relation to that starting note, and you listen and say "oh, that's a 5dim or a 4aug." Absolute pitch is when someone plays a single note and you listen to it and say "Oh, that's a Db above middle C."

Absolute pitch is not that hard to train, but it is different than training relative pitch. You have to do both if you want to be able to read and write away from the instrument.

Even when you have a very well trained ear, you'll still find yourself writting at the instrument anyway. One of the odd things about composing is that often you'll have 2 or 3 ideas for a phrase, and you'll need to play those ideas to decide between them. So even if you don't "need" an instrument to write, you'll find you want one anyway -- it's just easier to do that way.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member

It's funny - people used to think that 'real' composers were the ones who could sit out in a meadow and write a symphony with nothing but pen and paper.... and writers who composed at the piano or another instrument were using it as a crutch.

What I meant, was that it's awkward to change position between the guitar and the keyboard and mouse. With a paper and a pen in front of me when I compose with my guitar, I'll be more productive. I hope. And I want to be able to do this, because I've recognized I do much better stuff when I use standard notation, than when I just use Chords and strumming patterns, for example.

First, what instruments do you play? If just guitar, start with a beginner method book like the Berklee or Mel Bay series.

Yes, just guitar. I'll by a piano when I get the money (years away, probably). This book seems interesting: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0876390114/qid=1119526825/sr=8-8/ref=pd_ka_1/002-0671252-1278405?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Do you know anything about it?
You should get to the point where you're fairly "conversant" in 6 months to a year if you work at it a little every day.
Ok! We'll see about that in june 2006!
There's lots of ear training software out there.

Do you know any for free? I'm a poor man.
Absolute pitch is not that hard to train

First I thought: "Yeah, right! It's impossible!" but then I decided to go to the guitar, sing what I thought is an E without reference, and then I played the E string. I was surprised of how close it was! Then, on my way to a friend with a piano, I decided to hit an E on the keyboard, and yes! this time I nailed it! So, maybe it's not impossible!

Thanks for the advices!

Now, Noteboat and Kingpatzer, only because you made me curious about standard notation again, don't think you won the discussion! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I use the Berklee Modern Method books for some students - it depends on how motivated you are. The Berklee book 1 moves along a lot faster than the Mel Bay book 1... so for most students I use Bay, but for those who already read music on another instrument, I use Berklee.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I agree with Noteboat.

The Berkley method book is a bit "advanced" for a beginner book, but it'll get you there. If you don't read a note, then the Mel Bay series is better to start wtih.

However, if you can read a little, and you know the notes in first position, and you really want to work at this, Berklee is just fine.

Free ear training software is easy, there's a number of web sites that have java apps for doing this. Here's a couple that are not too bad:

http://www.teoria.com/exercises/int-const.htm
http://www.prolobe.com/default.asp

Good luck, and in June 2006 when this thread pops up you can tell people how you were converted :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member

Ok, then I know which book I'll choose. I'm not exactly a beginner, I've even written some music, but I can't sight read.

This will be an exciting journey. Now I'll check out the ear training software!

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 6