Notifications
Clear all

How Long Have You Been GAS Free?

54 Posts
36 Users
0 Likes
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Wow, Helgi has some great self control or something. I, on the other hand have none. I am a GAS glutton. I've purchased a good bit already this year and am probably going to get a 7 string or baritone guitar and a 5 string bass before the end of the year. As Arjen puts it, it would be foolish not to buy these. I am into Metal and to truly emulate the big name bands who use downtuned instruments, I would need to get these instruments for the best downtuned sound.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

since last purchase in april '06 (maxed out my budget for my no-interest MF card)
Fishman loudbox performer 130w acoustic amp.
i plan to stay GAS free until the card is paid off, then if MF still offers 12 months no-interest i will relieve myself again.
probably an Epi elitist LP :wink:

congrats to all of you noble souls who deny GAS

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

The Dali Lima wrote: updating my "beer guitar"
OK, Dali, so what is your "beer guitar"?

Is it the guitar you play when you drink beer? The guitar you take to the bar with you?
Just in case you spill something on it or drop it or something?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

My GAS hasn't been too bad lately. I got a Vox AD30VT for Christmas. This spring sometime, maybe April or May, I picked up a Squire '51 for $100. But that's it this year. I am really wanting a Schecter C-1 Classic or a C-1 Hollowbody with the Piezo pickup (can't decide which), but I'm able to hold off. I don't really need it right now.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The Dali Lima wrote: updating my "beer guitar"
OK, Dali, so what is your "beer guitar"?

Is it the guitar you play when you drink beer? The guitar you take to the bar with you?
Just in case you spill something on it or drop it or something?

Margaret, I'll get a good picture together of the beer guitar in it's current form. It is a mid-80's Washburn electric that I customized with the labels from my beer-bottle collection (a remnant from my college drinking days that was collecting dust in the basement). After 80 coats of lacquer the guitar is mirror-smooth. The problem is that in a few places the lacquer wasn't thick enough (it was my very first project guitar) and the labels can be felt through it. Also, it had a Washburn 2000 Wonder-tremolo (an enormous hunk of metal bolted to the top of the guitar which was a flush-mounted version of the Kahler tremolos that were hot at the time. It does it's job well, but it is DATED and LARGE) so I am putting in a LP-junior/PRS style wrap-around bridge/tailpiece.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Like Helgi I do not suffer from G.A.S. The last guitar purchase I made was a used Squire Strat from a pawn shop 2 years ago which brings my axe total to 1 acoustic, 1 electric and a Peavey Backstage Plus I aqiured because someone owed me $50. Now also note I've been playing for a little over 4 years. 1 guitar every two years that seems about right.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

More than 2 years now. I always wanted an explorer with emg's, when i got that - and found the right amp for me with the sound i was after , i stopped.

I've never really liked pedals, the one i have gets used to check the tuning on my guitar that's it.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I've pretty much been GAS free since I got my T-5 in May. As a matter of fact, I got rid of a couple of guitars when I got that one!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

There is an angel on my left shoulder saying, "O, wondrous life in which thou art blessed with bass and bass amp, electric guitar and attenuated tube amp, and verily thou art blessed with a chiming 12-string acoustic and a droning DADGAD acoustic. Truly I tell thee, thou art GAS free!"

And there is a devil on my right shoulder, poking me with his pitchfork, saying, "Dude, you need a reverb pedal. Get a reverb pedal, man. They're small - you can sneak one in the door and your wife will never know. I sure won't tell her if you don't. You NEED a freakin' reverb pedal!!!"

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Last thing I bought was my amp a couple of days after boxing day last year. As a beginner I figure all I need is a guitar and an amp. However I am now just starting to get the itch. I come into a bit of money in the new year and I'm sure some of it will be be heading towards at least one of my local guitar shops. I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my SS amp to a valve job.

I've already started "window shopping" so it won't be long before we have a full blown case of GAS.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

There is an angel on my left shoulder saying, "O, wondrous life in which thou art blessed with bass and bass amp, electric guitar and attenuated tube amp, and verily thou art blessed with a chiming 12-string acoustic and a droning DADGAD acoustic. Truly I tell thee, thou art GAS free!"

And there is a devil on my right shoulder, poking me with his pitchfork, saying, "Dude, you need a reverb pedal. Get a reverb pedal, man. They're small - you can sneak one in the door and your wife will never know. I sure won't tell her if you don't. You NEED a freakin' reverb pedal!!!"

ROFL.. I have one on each shoulder too.. Unfortunately they are both chiding me on to buy bUY BUY!!!!

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Hmmm... should the angel be carrying a pitchfork as well? That seems odd to me. Let me look again.

Yup, he's got a pitchfork too.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'm NEVER GAS free! There's ALWAYS something out there that I really, really want!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@slipkid)
Eminent Member

About 8 weeks ago I picked up 12-fret, slothead Adamas. I really think I'm done
Three acoustics, one electric, and a uke. I can't justify more than that.

Ovation....
Belly up to the bowl boys!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I also have to have two Weber attenuators for my Epi 5W valve heads. I can't have my neighbours having me kicked out before my lease is up and I can't wait too long to be able to crank those puppies up!

I really wish I had some self-control like some of ya'll out there. I'm just trying to have as much fun as I can, while I can. I'll suffer the consequences later.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4