Clear all

How much do you practice each day?

68 Posts
45 Users
0 Likes
11.9 K Views
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member

I'm thinking I need a separate room in the house. I hate having to put it in the case every time. To leave my guitar out all the time would mean certain destruction.

Maybe I could hang it from the ceiling.....hmmm :idea:

"Never holster an unloaded weapon, it's just poor form." - Col. Jeff Cooper

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Reading this thread makes me realize, I'm getting older! I have two children (6 & 2 and the 2 year old is TEN TIMES worse than my 6 year old ever was!).

I work seven days a week, I don't even want to figure out what the hours come down to! Not to mention all the over-time I put in!

But, to answer the post, I hope to put in an hour a day. If I can't do that, I read about music or come here. Which is the same as reading up on my music knowledge.

Rock on guitarnoise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You know guys,

I bet if we set a kind of practice standard here at guitarnoise, like a bare minimum of practice each day and agreed to stick to it, it would bring some of us up to a better regime. I know it sounds absurd, but Im not talking about an hour a day or shoot yourself, im looking at it more in a motivational sense, because almost always theres time to do it....just not the motivation to do it.

What do you all think?

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@big-al-hendrix)
Trusted Member

i play once or twice a week. :(

i work full time 08.30 - 06.30 5 days. i have my home business after that. i have a 6 year old and 20month old. i have a demanding wife ;)

need to find more time.

i used to put in at least a hour a day.

Hendrix Freak

>Pride an' Joy
>Mr Mojo

http://www.voodoo9.co.uk
(creator of the guitarnoise logo)

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

i play once or twice a week. :(

i work full time 08.30 - 06.30 5 days. i have my home business after that. i have a 6 year old and 20month old. i have a demanding wife ;)

need to find more time.

i used to put in at least a hour a day.You're 24 and you have a 6 year old kid? Plus another child, a wife, and a job (plus a home business) that is paying well enough to get you a 69 strat (with original three-way switch, which I still very much applaud you for) and a PRS CE24? Pfft. Bloody 20-somethings today. Think they know everything. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@big-al-hendrix)
Trusted Member

i've another one due in december. :)

my wife's 33.

the strat was paid for with shares i had be collecting... the prs was my life savings!!

i'm poor i tells ya.

need any graphic design done? :D

Hendrix Freak

>Pride an' Joy
>Mr Mojo

http://www.voodoo9.co.uk
(creator of the guitarnoise logo)

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Nah, you don't need my business. Richboy. ;)

Fair play though, you bought them yourself - I hate these 14-year-old powerchord-powerkids who have their rich-as-the-bloke-off-t'Monopoly-box parents buy them custom PRSs and Gibsons (in Cardiff it's more prominent than anywhere in the UK, I'd say - the only thing that commands more snobbery than the scenesters is the brand snobbery. ;)).

ReplyQuote
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member

You know guys,

I bet if we set a kind of practice standard here at guitarnoise, like a bare minimum of practice each day and agreed to stick to it, it would bring some of us up to a better regime. I know it sounds absurd, but Im not talking about an hour a day or shoot yourself, im looking at it more in a motivational sense, because almost always theres time to do it....just not the motivation to do it.

What do you all think?

Kido
Well, Kido it would be quite the increase in frequency even if I said I was going to commit to at least picking it up, and strumming a few chords every single day. I'd have to make some serious adjustments just to get that done.

But I think I'm IN. I have a genuine desire to increase my skill level, and have been needing to make a commitment to it for some time. Sign me up.

PS - if we miss a day, how do we make that up? Are we imprisoned in practice for 4 hours on Sunday or what?

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok Im going to start a thread on this and we are going to get some commited followers.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hmmmm, it all depends on my mood. I play every day save maybe 3-4 days a year. I pretty much gave up "practicing" and now mostly just play. I'll pick up a new song but usually they contain chords I already know so it's just focusing on a different strumming pattern or different chord progressions.

I generally don't play until the sun goes down. I'd estimate I play (not including breaks) an hour a day. I've never really tracked it. The best practice I get is when I play with others because it forces me to learn something new and try things I would never do on my own.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member

About 7 years ago I told a guy that I wanted to be able to pour my soul through my guitar. He responded with " you have to bleed FOR it before you'll ever bleed THRU it"

My point is, either you are born with a talent that lends itself to this endeavor, OR you have to make it happen.

It's like trying to quit smoking. Quitting for anyone other than yourself is a joke. When you're ready you'll just do it, or not.

I've been plucking the same 6 chords all these years. I always had an excuse, we've all heard them, and some have said them.

But a couple of weeks ago I decided that was going to change, forever. That's when I found this website, and have been practicing consistently ever since. I have noticed marked improvement too. It's not only the quantity of my practice, but my intensity/focus during that practice. I actually look forward to it all day long, until I'm there. Even if I only have 10 or 15 minutes, it's worth every second. I can hear the sounds turning into music for the first time.

AND SO, here we go........

ReplyQuote
(@cluemein)
Eminent Member

I tried to play at least one hour a day, one day, i play songs. the next day, i study. now, i do miss a day or two, but, i always try to work it into my day, a little something for me and me alone.. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Odie, good for you! Your comment about this site (I'm sure) is appreciated by the authors who take significant amounts of their "free" time to help the world with playing. Even here in the forums you find wickedly-good (yea, I know not a good phrase but apt) guitarists who donate their time to answer questions when they could be creating their own guitar masterpieces. Thank the Big Guy upstairs for GN. I know I do. :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

I just had 45 minutes of great focussed practice. I would love 45 minutes for 5 days a week; and the weekends just to play, and enjoy the results. Usually, I am "with" my guitars for an hour or two a day.

I get distracted by wanting to do too much too soon. Too many songs to learn...I think that the best thing to do is to take things slowly, and not to have a backlog of things (songs) that haven't been properly practiced, and completed.

Would I be amiss to say, that playing the guitar is just as much hard work for experienced players as it is for beginning players? There is always constant review and maintenance of a player's ability; more songs to remember etc.? Any comments?

~Ghost~

PS I agree with Odie and corbind: this site is a boon for guitarists...

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@vempyre)
Trusted Member

i used to practice a lot more, but then my first teacher died. :!: :(

i still look forward to playing a lot but by the time i get home from school i'm usually too tired. sometimes i get struck by a lightning bolt of inspiration and motivation at about 10pm but if i don't sleep then, my school marks would suffer.

i got a new teacher, but he always forgets to come to lessons ....

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5