How much do you practice each day?

68 Posts
45 Users
0 Likes
11.9 K Views
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Now OT:

Hopefully, a couple of 15 or 20 minutes sessions here and there, each day -- significantly more on the weekends. This works for me as most of my playing is spontaneous composition and improv. It doesn't work in that I rarely record any of it.

My wife just bought me a banjo. Not sure how that will figure into the "schedule," except I suspect my fingerpicking will now develop in new directions. This much I know: banjos are not quiet. Can't pull it off the wall hanger at 2 in the morning and play it for an hour as I might an electric. BanjoNoise?

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

I usually practice between 9:30 and 12:30 six nights a week. Plus, I have a band practice that lasts about 3 hours once week. So that's about 21 hours a week. I'd say that's not bad for a lawyer with a wife and two kids! On top of that I do a lot of reading, organizing my material, messing with guitarpro, powertab, and other music related gear.

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Now thats a good reply Blutic, I love playing with GP4, its like Pandora's box without the apocalypse.

Kdio

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

It depends. I always play every day, I mean, seriously sit down and practice. Some days it's just for an hour or two (never less than an hour), usually it's more like three or four hours every day, some days, though, I just can't seem to put it down. If something elusive is falling into place, I'll play all day long and into the evening.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

How do you find that much time to play? Are you a housewife? In High School or college? It's almost impossible to get 4 hours in during a normal day for me (unless I get crazy). I admire anyone who can be dedicated to put at least that hour in a day.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

No, I'm not a housewife, but I am quite fortunate in the fact that I don't have to go out to work on a daily basis. The work that I do (I'm a freelance photographer) can be done anywhere, and at any time, and I am so grateful that I don't have to punch a time clock or report to a 'boss' or sit in a cubicle all day! I work as much or as little as my bank account will allow. And, since my mother passed away last year, and I have an inheritance for a cushion, I'm working as little as possible! :-) In fact, I guess you could say that I am "semi-retired"! :D (At least until the money runs out!!)

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@jailhouserock)
Trusted Member

I used to make my own practice schedule. Duh, it sounds like a guitar-nerd-guy lol.. It was divided into a few sections like warm-ups exercises, scales, technique, repertoire, theory and a few other more. The amount of time was around 60 – 90 minutes. I did it for like 2 months. But I just can't stick to it and there were days where I felt sleepy while practicing! But of course every now and then, I'd just picked up my guitar and do some random playing/practice.
So, I figured out the other way to keep my practice more fun. Right now, I'd divide each specific practice materials i.e. C major scale for 10 - 15 mins. Then I'll have some 2-3 minutes break and continue another 10 – 15 mins and so on. I usually do it for like 1 hour. I keep track of whatever I practiced by write it on paper. I think it's important so that I can always go back to look what I've done and see if I did progress or not. (but I always progress slowly.. ) Sometimes, there were days where I continued practice from 1.30am till 3.30 am! (cuz I work ‘till 1.am). So, it was like 2-3 hours a day.
Btw, there were days where I'd just play for 10 mins day! Musical frustration, I guess..

:)

Hum..

ReplyQuote
(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

i practice 2-3 hours a day and i fi dont got nething else to do ill make it 4

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5