Skip to content
How much money do y...

Notifications
Clear all

How much money do you have invested in guitars?

42 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

Gibson Les Paul $1700
Fender Strat $795
Marshall Mode 4 $1700
Taylor 455ce $1800
Epi $400
Misc. accesories $1000

Divorce $2500 per month for 10 years
$375,000 house
Kid #1
Kid #2
Dog #1

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

The story: One day I saw this beautiful little Ibanez Tube Screamer at a pawn shop. She said " If you buy one more guitar toy, I'm leaving!"

I said, "I'm going to miss you darlin"

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Current uitar stuff I own:

$900 Gibson SG Special (2002)
$600 Roland VG-88 floorboar processor
$500 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
$500 Books (I think I went a bit crazy here, ouch!)
$150 40 Big Rock Engineering picks X-1 Powerpicks
$100 3 On-Stage guitar stands
$90 2--21' Spectraflex cables
$80 2 Maestro music stand lights (fablulous investment)
$70 2 guitar straps (1 Planet Waves, 1 Comfort Strapp)
$50 On-Stage music stand (a great investment!)
$50 Crate BC-10 junk amp for practice at buddy's house
$40 2 Fender cloth cables
$30 Rok Sac (read: giant male purse to carry my junk)
$20 Peterson VS-II tuner
$20 Schubb capo
$20 Gibraltar music stand drink holder
$20 Off the Wall wall guitar hanger
$15 Hearos ear plugs (designed for musicians)
$10 TurboTune string winder
$5 Tool Shop string cutter

$3,270 Total current stuff

29 Months playing

$113 Rough monthly cost

This list is of current stuff and does not include the 4 amps I bought and sold for a loss, cables I've broken, and expendables like strings. I know I've spent lots on strings but that's the cost of playing.

It's funny :) that I've thought about that while filling my gas tank, going to the grocery store, or driving to band practice. I drive a '95 Honda Civic with 132k miles on it. I never lock my car and leave the keys under the seat when I go into stores. I leave my wallet underneath my driver seat unless I'm going to buy something.

When I'm walking into a store 5 minutes or less I'll leave it unlocked with most of the aforementioned gear in it. I don't worry so much about my car getting stolen but my guitar gear. I'm sick. And now that I put the numbers in a speardsheet, I'd say my guitar stuff is worth more than my car. That's hilarious.

A final words is that I do lock my car if I go down to Chicago or if I'm leaving my gear in my car for more than 5 minutes. That's scary seeing the numbers quantified. It might even scare me more to see my beer bill, lol. :roll:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

When I'm walking into a store 5 minutes or less I'll leave it unlocked with most of the aforementioned gear in it.

Man, you are one trusting soul, Dennis.

I'm not gonna bother adding up what I spent on gear. Less than I did on my house, more than I did on my van...

When I load up to go to a gig, it takes two trips to stow the gear. With my front door open, maybe a 60' walk from instrument storage to the van, I lock the van between trips.

My wife commented on that little habit of mine recently, that I'm only gone a few seconds. We also live on a dead-end street in the boondocks, so I guess it's fairly safe. But... lose 1 axe and 1 amp, and all of a sudden I'm out $3K or so, and insurance won't cover theft from an unlocked car.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Now if you would be so kind as to calculate your time spent playing in hours and multiply times $10 US and give us a total.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It's funny :) that I've thought about that while filling my gas tank, going to the grocery store, or driving to band practice. I drive a '95 Honda Civic with 132k miles on it. I never lock my car and leave the keys under the seat when I go into stores. I leave my wallet underneath my driver seat unless I'm going to buy something.

When I'm walking into a store 5 minutes or less I'll leave it unlocked with most of the aforementioned gear in it. I don't worry so much about my car getting stolen but my guitar gear. I'm sick. And now that I put the numbers in a speardsheet, I'd say my guitar stuff is worth more than my car. That's hilarious.

Geez Dennis, all you've forgotten to tell us is the color of your Civic and where you typically shop.

??

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Now if you would be so kind as to calculate your time spent playing times $10 US and give us a total.

Wow! I just added up my practice time since I started playing... over $200K at $10 an hour!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Oooops, sorry about that Greg. I guess it's just my nature to be fairly detailed and long-winded. At times I know many of you wish I had to hunt-and-peck when typing so, for sure, I'd get to the point quickly.

The Civic is dark blue and I shop at Sam Ash and online most of the time these days. I couldn't resist. I was laughing so hard at your reply because I know I should not be so detailed.

And, since I already started this post, I have to make a comment about those music stand lights. They are, by far, the absolutely fantastic. They don't have a light bulb but a LED. And it's really bright. I almost typed up a note to give to Sam Ash as a recommendation for others on that product. Okay, now it's back to the garage….

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Wasn't refering to the detail, Dennis -- your posts are interesting ... just wanted to be able to find that unlocked car of yours. :wink:

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@luvmytele)
Eminent Member

£975 Gibson Les Paul Standard -used metalic red sparkle worth £1400
£490 12 -string electric Fender Strat Made in Japan
£ 90 Humbuckers for 12 string strat
£275 EPI Les Paul Limited Edition-used worth £500
£550 Fender Twin (used)
£100 Valves (tubes) for the twin
£ 50 Practice amp (bedroom)
£100 Capo(s),cables
£150 Stomp boxes,wah
£300 Hohner Pianet (keyboards) classic 1980
£100 Cases

Ugh ... getting an ulcer ...must be over £3000 or $5000

The only way I can truly justify the cost is compared to a PC which is worth almost nothing in a years time or the fact my guitars will last me a lifetime and I could live a very long life! Well I plan on living another 40 years!

... that noise you hear is my Signature Sound ... lovely ain't it?

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

I'm with Nick and stopped counting around $10k. I'm not sure I want to know the exact amount. :shock:

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote
(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

$400 fender strat
$100 seymor duncan hot rod pickup
$500 120-watt Crate Amp <----The god damn cheap plastic handle broke when i was moving it and it fell down my god damn step i should F**king sue crate :evil:
$300 dean <-----piece of crap
around $200 for patch cords and effect pedals

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3