Clear all

How to bend on low frets?

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering how you guys bend notes on the lower frets, ie-1-4ish. I've always had problems bending up high enough because it's so close to the nut. especially on the 2nd fret. What do you guys do?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

If it's too big of a stretch then I'd use a lower string or not attempt to bend so much.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

well it comes with practise and loads of finger strength.i love doing bb king style vibrato and bends on my classical guitar.Now you can imagine what strength it takes ....

Give it time.They will eventually get easier as you build up those muscles :D

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Most people overlook the fact that you only need to bend a string *very* little close to the headstock. You really need far less strength then it often seems, make sure you are dead sure how far you need to bend and use your other fingers in support. Bend from the wrist instead of the fingers and you'll probably have little problems.

Rahul: a classical guitar doesn't take that much strength to bend or vibrato, the only problem is you can't really do big bends due to the elastic nature of nylon strings. In any case, bending (and fretting, and barre-chords etc) on a classical is way way easier then on a western. The only problems are the bigger stretches, not the strength-part.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Yeah, down there I usually rotate my wrist, versus pushing the string with my fingers.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Most people overlook the fact that you only need to bend a string *very* little close to the headstock.

Exactly. A tiny bend here achieves the same change in pitch that a 2 step bend would at say the 9th fret.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

Yeah i agree, use the wrist.

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

double post please remove

ReplyQuote